Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #118854 12/25/11 07:16 PM
    L
    Lori H. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    My son and I tried to think of safe subjects to talk about so as not to offend anyone before going to our family's Christmas dinner. Subjects that were definitely off limits were politics, movies, music and video games with our extended strict Southern Baptist family. We can only talk about my son's involvement in musical theater with one or two family members when the others are not listening. I get the feeling that other family members think musical theater is somehow bad, maybe because it requires dancing with the opposite sex or it might be that my son had to "kiss the princess" in one of his shows. I don't see anything wrong with any of that.

My son doesn't want to listen to people talk about sports or all the fun things that their kids get to do that he can't do because he has to wear a painful scoliosis brace. His cousins don't talk to him at all and I sometimes wonder if they have been told not to because he plays video games and watches movies they think are evil.

The only safe subject we could find to talk about was pets so he talked to some family members about a cat we are watching for another relative. The cat had been abused and we are trying to get it to the point where it is more comfortable with people. After a short conversation about abused animals, and about an article in our local small town paper about a cat that had to be put to sleep because of the abuse of two local high school boys, the other family members started talking about subjects we couldn't really talk about. We just don't have anything in common.

I wish I hadn't asked an uncle about what worked for his migraine headaches. He said he hadn't had any migraines since the people at church "prayed over him" ten years ago. We constantly hear family members saying things that make us wonder if they think they think the reason my son and I have migraines and my son has to wear a painful scoliosis brace is because we are more sinful than they are, but one of their kids posted something on facebook recently that seemed to make fun of people who are gay. They don't have a problem with that.

We wanted to socialize with my family. We tried to talk to them, but my son and I just couldn't take it. We took out our cell phones and read and talked to each other about what we read. Is it really that bad to look at cell phones at family dinners?

A
    A
    I was a reporter for about 10 years and had dinners with people who did not have a single thing in common with me. The very best way to avoid minefields at family dinners is to pretend you're a reporter that is writing a fluff piece for which your editor has commanded that any hard-hitting questions are off limits.

If you put yourself in this mindset, you do the following:

Keep them talking about themselves, not actual topics like politics. People love to talk about their own lives and experiences, and kids can often learn sme interesting things about family history that will help build a bit of a bond where there is little common ground.

Bite your tongue when what you view as unenlightened comments are made. A reporter knows that the best way to clam up an interviewee is to correct or challenge them.

It's at most a few hours, and learning tolerance for others who may not show tolerance to us is a wonderful gift to give our children - especially our gifted kids who may struggle with tolerating their peers.

Just my thoughts since you asked. But with all that said, when the rude gossip starts, I do the same thing and bury myself in my iPhone. I can accept different values, religions, political tendencies, etc. but refuse to listen to or participate in gossip.

Asking the adults about their childhoods is usually worth an hours talking/laughing, at least.

I am sorry the family time wasn't fun for y'all. In the future I would probably limit time with them as much as possible. Family is important, but not when all they do is make you feel bad.

~amy
    D
    D
    As we all know, Jesus shunned everyone who didn't live a perfectly holy lifestyle. *rolls eyes*

I'm with Amy, family is important but so is good mental health!

L
    Lori H. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Originally Posted by ABQMom
    Keep them talking about themselves, not actual topics like politics. People love to talk about their own lives and experiences, and kids can often learn sme interesting things about family history that will help build a bit of a bond where there is little common ground.

Thank you for your advice, but it seems like all our family wants to talk about is sports and the vacations they took and fun places they went shopping and all the nice things they bought and how they love going to church any time the doors are open. This only adds to the pain we feel. Isolation and not fitting in with your family is painful. It is very difficult for us to go anywhere or do anything right now because of the scoliosis brace my son has to wear for at least the next several years. The isolation we feel is very difficult to deal with but I am amazed at how well my son is dealing with it. He seems very mature for a 13 year old.

Bite your tongue when what you view as unenlightened comments are made. A reporter knows that the best way to clam up an interviewee is to correct or challenge them.

I didn't bite my tongue years ago when I should have but I thought it was okay to talk to family about some problems I was having. When family members talked about the wonderful public school they sent their kids to I told them I didn't think that any school that would not try to provide an appropriate education for my twice exceptional child or occupational therapy for his mild physical disabilities could be considered a good school. I should have bit my tongue when I told them after our first year of homeschooling that my son tested grade levels ahead of age mates. I told them I thought it was crazy that my son's kindergarten teacher suggested holding back my son who had mild physical disabilities (SPD and low muscle tone that caused him to fatigue faster than other kids) who was reading at a 5th grade level and doing mental math in kindergarten without offering any OT (not allowed because he wasn't failing). I think they refer to this at the school as the "gift of time" so that physical skills can catch up. She wanted him to be able to color in the lines better before he went to first grade. They do a lot of coloring sheets and worksheets at the school and my son doesn't learn well that way. I also told my family I thought it was crazy that all kids must read the same books and were not allowed to read at the higher level they were able to read. I told them that even the principal and superintendent told us we needed to homeschool.

But I think probably the worst thing I said was that I thought the grades they gave out at the school didn't mean much because I noticed that almost all of the kids in each class ended up with their names on the honor roll and in the paper at the end of each semester.

My cousin's son made straight A's at our local public school and got a football scholarship, but he struggled with the academic work. My husband said he thought this was the reason he was taken off the team. I am sure they remember all those things I said in the past, so we can't talk about education.

It's at most a few hours, and learning tolerance for others who may not show tolerance to us is a wonderful gift to give our children - especially our gifted kids who may struggle with tolerating their peers.

My son doesn't argue with people about their beliefs and he is very careful about what he says to other people. He has turned into a more quiet, thoughtful young man in the last few years. A relative who saw a recent facebook post that he wrote said he is a wise young man and I agree. He told me that he thinks that a lot of people here tend to take things out of context when they read--they read one line and somehow don't read the lines before or after it. They don't get the message that the writer intended the reader to get. He thinks that could be what is happening in some of our churches. He knows that preachers can easily take one line from the Bible and use it out of context and so many people do not take the time to read for themselves that they believe everything the preacher is saying. He doesn't think that he did anything to cause his pain and disabilities or that he is more sinful than anyone else because he has pain or anxiety just because some preacher said it, but I think it just adds to the feeling of isolation when he is around other people who believe these things and attend a church where things like this are taught. When I said something to him recently about church being an important part of our small town culture he said he noticed the word "cult" in culture. He says he can read and learn from the Bible on his own.

The family didn't speak to my adult daughter who was visiting from out of state either when she first arrived and she doesn't just let things go like I do. She said they looked away when she smiled at them. She loudly said something like "at least my dad's family talks to me when I walk in the door." She later made a visit to an older relative to try to find out what had happened to our family. The older relative had noticed the same things we noticed and was sad about it.

My daughter stayed with her little brother for almost her entire Christmas vacation. She has so many old friends here but she knew her little brother needed her support because of the pain he is going through in getting used to the painful brace that makes it difficult for him to do anything more than just sit all day long. It also makes it harder to breathe and eat more than a few bites. Family support is important in helping a kid get through this and this is what family is supposed to be like but I cannot change those family members who are not supportive and I think we just need to limit our time with them.

Just my thoughts since you asked. But with all that said, when the rude gossip starts, I do the same thing and bury myself in my iPhone. I can accept different values, religions, political tendencies, etc. but refuse to listen to or participate in gossip.

C
    C
    Lori, having grown up in the middle of the Baptist bible belt, and having hightailed it out of there as soon as I got my college acceptance letters, I can only say that I understand how you and your son feel. Thankfully, my family is small, and my immediate family not particularly religious, so I didn't have to deal with it at family gatherings. I just dealt with it culturally. I can't really talk about the southern Baptist mentality because it's so closed-minded and judgmental, that I can't help feeling the same way back at them. If your family tongue-ties you to the extent that you've described, I feel that whatever you and your son can do to cope, including phones at the table, is a worthwhile activity. It sounds like your son is exposed to the rest of the enlightened world (and I mean enlightened by intelligence and open-mindedness, not by Jesus's grace) when he is away from family, and understands that your extended family is not representative of the world at large. That's important.

I should also state, lest I offend, that although I use the words "southern Baptist mentality," I do not mean to disparage an entire religion, but rather a culture of judgment and closed-mindedness that is often associated with Christianity in general in the particular part of the south that I grew up in. I respect all people's right to their religious beliefs. I just disagree with those who use their beliefs to judge and disparage others.

Last edited by Coll; 12/30/11 02:19 PM. Reason: avoidance of offending remarks about religion
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by ABQMom
    If you put yourself in this mindset, you do the following:

Great post!

At a certain point you have to decide. What role, if any, do you want these people to play in your life. You've clearly determined these are not people you will share your intimate feelings and life story with. Okay, come to peace with that. Realize it and share that part of yourself with people you choose rather than people who you happen to be related to. Once you've decided that figure out if you feel like you can be comfortable with polite chit chat for a holiday now and then. Use it as an opportunity to develop skills like abqmom suggests. If they really can't be tolerated for an afternoon maybe it is time to stop seeing them.

Perhaps Googling small talk and preparing a few comments and questions would be helpful. "Do you have a favorite Christmas story or memory?" "What was great grandpa like, I never met him..." etc. Weather, changes in town like new buildings, recipes, compliments, and yes, sports. Even if you aren't particularly interested in it, it isn't a terrible thing to learn to participate in regular, polite chitchat.

I understand your son has trouble with his scoliosis brace, but I don't think that makes it appropriate to refuse to hear about happy parts of other people's lives. While I sympathize with his struggle, as a parent I would not be okay with being in such a negative place that you can't be happy for other people's happiness. This may be a good opportunity to learn some new habits of the mind.

Last edited by passthepotatoes; 12/30/11 11:22 PM.
    Val Offline
    I agree with PTP. Great post to you too!

I'll add a possibility: you wrote that you were put off by your relatives talk about their vacations and the fun places they went shopping and the fun stuff their kids do. Perhaps it felt to you like they were bragging or rubbing salt in a wound.

I'll submit that maybe they felt the same way when you told them that, for example, the good grades their kids got "didn't mean much," especially in the context of your reports that, once homeschooled, your son starting working years above age-grade level. Etc.

Sometimes people can be cruel and you have to distance yourself. But sometimes problems happen because of a gap in the way you see yourself and the way others see you. For example, the way that you communicate (or a lack of communication, depending on the situation) can send messages that you might not have intended to send. And people can be react negatively.

L
    Lori H. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    [quote=Val]
    I'll submit that maybe they felt the same way when you told them that, for example, the good grades their kids got "didn't mean much," especially in the context of your reports that, once homeschooled, your son starting working years above age-grade level. Etc.

(quote]

The thing is, I wasn't talking to the parents of the cousins when I said what I said about the school and grades. At that time I didn't realize that in our small town what is said to one person is said to all. I was a city girl with no experience with small towns gossip.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Lori H.
    At that time I didn't realize that in our small town what is said to one person is said to all. I was a city girl with no experience with small towns gossip.

I'd say that same rule would apply to people hearing about a relative and her son burying themselves in their cell phones during a family holiday. So, getting back to the original question, yes, I would say it is rude. It is something that will be seen by many people as making a statement that you are too good for them or are rejecting their company. That may be a statement you are okay with making, but I would assume that "my sister/cousin/daughter in law and her son were so rude burying themselves in their cell phones one of the only times we see them" is something that may well be said and repeated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM