Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 270 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    L
    Lori H. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I think he has read some of these already. He has always read a lot of Wikipedia articles. One of the things he is worried about is that Wikipedia and Youtube could be affected by SOPA. He had me watch this video yesterday:

I think it had a lot of good information in it.

My son is homeschooled and has learned so much from both Wikipedia and Youtube. That is why he is worried about this. He says that if SOPA were to pass and I were to post a link to a copyrighted video on this site it could be shut down. He wonders why more people are not concerned about this.

Right now my son is dealing with a lot of pain trying to increase his hours in a scoliosis brace. He made it up to 10 hours in the painful brace yesterday. Instead of spending his time thinking about normal teenage kid things he is trying to learn as much as he can about something that could interfere with his freedom to learn what he wants to learn on the internet. Being able to learn what he wants to learn is the only thing that seems to take his mind off the pain.

Well, it's probably worth discussing with him how a bill progresses. This thing is still in committee, and in the public comment phase. And a lot of very large and powerful corporate entities are engaging in that public comment, very, very loudly. There are a number of hurdles this bill has yet to overcome.

Here is more info on the anti-SOPA efforts.

A number of boycotts has caused some firms to stop supporting it.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/opinion/the-439-organizations-sopa-opponents-should-worry-about/

And the remaining firms' employees will see themselves removed from some invitation only events.

The big one to turn is the US Chamber of Commerce. I highly doubt the local Chambers know what this is about and if they did they would not support the national organization.

I do not understand why the Unions support this. This will make it very hard to organize. I think they can be turned.

Note that Walmart is on it, but Target is not. I can understand the NFL, but Time Warner has a huge ISP business. Also note that Blockbuster is not on it.

So, if you are concerned, then go through this list and agitate.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM