Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    D
    doclori Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    This might be more of a "brag" thread, but DD5 really stood up for herself last week.

She's one of the youngest in a non-gifted kindergarten, and last Thursday after school she put her foot down and refused to do homework because "it's too easy!"

After waiting out the tantrum that followed, I explained that she has to do all the homework the teacher assigns, but that if she feels she needs harder work, she should politely discuss that with the teacher.

On Friday, the teacher took me aside at pickup time and told me that DD had written in her journal that day:

"Dear Ms. L.
    The homework is too easy. Can you please give me some harder work. Thank you."

I'm so proud of her for advocating for herself! And yes, she's going to get harder work: more advanced math, a higher reading book, and spelling tests starting in January.

C
    C
    That's wonderful! What a polite little note, and I'm glad the teacher reacted sensibly.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    F
    F
    That is awesome!

D
    doclori Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by master of none
    (but the teacher could also have gotten angry, so always be ready should this happen in the future)

You're absolutely right. We know this teacher well, but we might have handled it differently otherwise.

Also, the "hard" math she got today was IN ADDITION TO, not instead of, the boring stuff. :-( Spelling tests in January!

C
    C
    Are you sure it was the teacher's intention to give the harder work in addition to the easy stuff? Or could you quietly assume that it wasn't? I remember an occasion early in DS's school days when I assumed that was what was happening, but in fact it turned out that the teacher had said to DS that she didn't think he needed the standard sheet she was handing out, but he had wanted to take one anyway (didn't want to stand out, I think). Then later she gave him his own sheet, and then he had two. She was entirely happy for him to take the general sheet, or not, and do it, or not.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    F
    F
    I was told my ds has to complete the class assignments before working on his harder work. He is seems to be a teacher pleaser and hasn't told her the math is way too easy (this is stuff he was able to do when he was 3-4 yrs old).

D
    doclori Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    C.M. that's a good point -- I'll check with her.

N
    N
    Yes, for years we have ended up with grade-level math worksheets in addition to whatever DS9 has for his math, but none of the teachers really intends for him to do those -- they just hand one out to everyone as a matter of routine or habit.

Great job to your kiddo for standing up for herself!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations