Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks for all the feedback. It's been more than helpful.

P
    P
    ABQMom,

I started to write a long reply and my laptop burped and there it went - agh! I don't have time to recreate it at the moment but wanted to mention one thing - it's helped our ds tremendously to move to a laptop for all of his written work. The reason for the laptop was to replace handwriting, but it's also helped a ton with organizational challenges. Everything we can put into a file is one less piece of paper that's lost or left at school or whatever. Some of his teachers will accept homework via email so he doesn't have to deal with turning it in the next day at school. One of his teachers has him keep *all* of his classroom and homework in one large running file - he just appends the days' work at the end of the file.

Another suggestion we considered and didn't use (because we were afraid he'd lose it!) was an iTouch or other similar device for his personal planner - there are a ton of planner apps, plus you can use it to take pics of assignments written on the board.

polarbear

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks, polarbear - your advice is what I ended up doing last night.

We set up my son with him own email address (I have it on my set of emails as well so that I can see the messages coming in). He typed the answers to the questions of several of his assignments and emailed them to his teachers. His science teacher emailed him last night telling him how proud she was of him and that she was happy to email replies to questions and to get his homework via email.

His social studies teacher has informed him that it's too late to make up the work and that they are all zeros. I have sent the teacher a polite email reminding him of the IEP in place for dysgraphia and asking him to reconsider. If he doesn't, then it will require a more proactive approach.

I have also sent an email to the head of the special ed department who oversees my son's IEP at the school. I've asked her if we can add the teacher signatures daily to his IEP.

It's so crazy-making sometimes. He had a sub in math today, and the task was to copy a test from the board and then take the test. He took so long copying the problems that by the time he was ready to take the test it was time to copy his homework problems from the board. The sub informed my son he was getting a zero on the test, because he didn't answer the problems. Sigh. So yet another round of emails to get that addressed. I realize the sub has no clue about IEP's, etc., but the sub should also not be telling the students what will happen to them in situations they don't understand, either. My son came home quite upset until he understood that the sub was completely wrong.

Originally Posted by ABQMom
    It's so crazy-making sometimes. He had a sub in math today, and the task was to copy a test from the board and then take the test. He took so long copying the problems that by the time he was ready to take the test it was time to copy his homework problems from the board. The sub informed my son he was getting a zero on the test, because he didn't answer the problems. Sigh. So yet another round of emails to get that addressed. I realize the sub has no clue about IEP's, etc., but the sub should also not be telling the students what will happen to them in situations they don't understand, either. My son came home quite upset until he understood that the sub was completely wrong.

You know, I think thats malarkey. If a sub took peanuts in the classroom and an allergic kid had a reaction, there would be a HUGE problem. When I take my Girl Scouts somewhere, I NEED to know that so and so is actually allergic to KIWIS or some unusal thing like that. I don't see how being a SUB would release him/her from the obligation of following your son's IEP. Not to mention, have they ever done a test that way before? Surely the REGULAR teacher, who is familiar with your son's needs wouldn't have expected that? That would be a violation of the IEP, right? I wonder if the teacher TOLD the sub to do it that way?

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    2giftgirls - you know, you're right. It makes me wonder what process is in place for subs to know about IEP's, etc. This particular teacher has already been difficult; it's taken a meeting with the counselor, head of special ed and the principal for the teacher to agree that my son could use a calculator in class to do rote calculations.

Her opinion is that we're coddling him and not preparing him for real world situations (like when your boss says add up your expense report by hand, because I'm watching you and your raise depends on how accurate you are... I guess).

She has agreed to provide the accommodations requested, but only after the meeting. So I doubt the info about the IEP was passed on to the sub.

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Just an update for all who offered such good advice and support.

The new process of my kiddo doing his homework on the computer and emailing the work directly to the teacher has resulted in no new zeros since the progress reports were sent home letting me know there was a problem.

And the head of special ed called me today and said she'd like to have a meeting to create an addendum to the IEP that deals directly with the new organizational challenges that have emerged in mid school. One of the teachers has been resistant to signing the planner, providing additional cues when new assignments are announced verbally rather than written in the regular place on the board, etc., so the IEP would ensure that we had the ability to ask for this support.

For those of you who have accommodations for organizational challenges such as losing assignments, difficulty copying assignments from the board, etc., do you have suggestions on what we should include for accommodations?

W
    W
    first off, subs need to follow the 504/IEP as well, special teachers, gym teacher, etc... everybody that comes across your child. Been there, done that... I bit my tongue the first 10 times, then blew a casket.... in the last 2 years, EVERY sub has abided by his 504 and made a special note about all they did, music teacher, gym teacher,etc all are aware of his accomodations. Unfortunately, I took too many years trying to be understanding and accomodating to the administration and teachers, and learning the ropes. Once I put my foot down and started to document 504 violations via email, I'm amazed at how well my son is doing, and how receptive and accomodating everyone is. (I'm sure they run and hide when I come into the building)

I would make sure you add that signature part on the agenda. Who cares what the one teacher is resistant at doing, your child needs it. You don't get to pick and choose your work requirements. I would make sure you get something added that his writing be limited in all possible circumstances, and 2x the time allotment for any inclass assignement requiring writing. Try to make it vague, its their job to try to make it very specific.

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks, Weids. The meeting is this next week. We are also switching teachers for math at the suggestion of the special ed chair. After several discussions, she is convinced it is an irreparable situation to keep our son in the class. For the life of me, I do not understand teachers who put a wounded ego in front of helping a child. The teacher is furious at being required to allow my son to use a calculator and is punitive because of it. And all of the info regarding her state of mind is off the record (shared with me in private by the chair), so it seems the best option is to move my son.

I am seriously dreading this upcoming week.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM