Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by herenow
    This thread has been helpful to me. DD really enjoyed chess, until she didn't. I think her first tournament was too competitive for her. There is a chess club at her new school which sounds appropriate, but she hasn't tried it. Since I don't really play chess, I'm of no help for her. Are there online games she could play? What would you suggest to help a child get more confident?

Windows Vista (and Windows 7?) comes with a program Chess Titans that plays on levels from 1 to 10. Even a novice should be able to win against level 1 sometimes. ChessMaster software also has many playing levels.

A chess player needs to master certain skills, such as being able to mate with king and rook vs. king. She should solve lots of checkmates and other puzzles, from a book such as "Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations and Games" by Laszlo Polgar and Bruce Pandolfini.
    Another great way to practice chess skills is a puzzle called Mentagy, it was created by a chess instructor: Mentagy

"A Mind-Expanding Strategy Puzzle

This puzzle was created with the idea of helping my chess students, whose ages range from 6 to 15, understand certain concepts about choosing a chess move. When solving this puzzle you frequently encounter situations where you have several choices. In chess we refer to these choices as Candidate Moves. The term Candidate Move was popularized by the Russian author Alexander Kotov in his book: Think Like a Grandmaster. The methods used for determining the right choice in this puzzle are similar to the methods used for determining the best candidate move in a chess position"

U
    OP Offline
    U
    DD likes Chess Titans, but has not yet won against Level 1. She often puts the computer in check but has not successfuly checkmated. I wonder if anyone could suggest a book aimed at true beginners (well, she knows how the pieces move, obviously, but you know--a book with simple strategies, exercises, etc).

A
    A

M
    M
    You might want to take a look at Murray Chandler's books on Amazon. He has three books for kids, starting with "Chess for Children", and then moving up to "Chess Tactics for Kids", and then "How to beat your dad at chess". All three are highly rated, and the reviews should help you figure out which one is best for your DD.

My son really enjoyed "How to beat your dad at chess" when he read it a couple of years ago. And it was about that time that he really did start beating me.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Really?? Accepted BECAUSE of strength in chess, or because of skills they gained from chess? I have never heard of chess figuring in college acceptance, though I suppose I have lots ot learn about that.

The most selective colleges (Harvard, Yale, MIT, Stanford, Princeton) all have far more valedictorians applying than they could possibly accept, so what makes some candidates, including those that are not valedictorians, get selected?

My nephew at Yale (not niece as I said earlier) thinks they look for "pointy people" as opposed to well-rounded people. They look for applicants that absolutely excel at what they do, whether it is academic research (my nephew's strength), sports, national math/science contests, musical instruments, drama, community service, or yes, even chess (his roommate was ranked 2nd nationally).

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Thanks for the book recs! Just nobody read them to my 3yo, okay? It already takes me waaaaay too long to beat him. (Yes, I do sometimes let him win, too.)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM