Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    D
    D
    In 11 years of pediatric practice, I've seen it once, in toddler-age twins.

Just goes to show how different the HG population is from the rest of the world.

FWIW, I think that's REALLY smart!

C
    C
    Is it something you routinely ask about, though, doclori? I don't think it would occur to me to mention it (yes, DS did this too) unless directly asked, and I had the impression from general (if population biased!) mother chat that it wasn't limited to HG+ kids.

Last edited by ColinsMum; 12/02/11 06:54 AM.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I had also heard of it among twins. I figure it's going to just be one of those things... Kind of like the rock obsession from second grade, or the worm rescue campaign from third grade... I found more rocks in my dryer than clothes. And she spent her recess time collecting worms from the pavement and "saving" them from the boys in her class. That almost got her into some trouble. Her spy campaign from earlier this year was interesting too. She was training some of the boys to be apprentice spies and work for her. The other little girls don't quite know what to make of her sometimes! I'm just glad that for the time being she seems very comfortable being herself smile

D
    D
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Is it something you routinely ask about, though, doclori? I don't think it would occur to me to mention it (yes, DS did this too) unless directly asked, and I had the impression from general (if population biased!) mother chat that it wasn't limited to HG+ kids.

I don't specifically ask about self-made languages. I do, however, ask about language in general, especially for kids who are under five years of age. For toddlers, I specifically ask how many/what words they say (mama/dada/up/hi/bye/more/etc). For toddlers, do they put 2 words/3 words/more together. For 3-5 year olds, who understands their speech and to what extent? Mothers usually understand most of what the kids say; by 4 speech should be mostly understandable to a stranger.

So although I don't ask specifically about that, certainly there's more than just a momentary discussion about language.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Momtogirls
    Her spy campaign from earlier this year was interesting too. She was training some of the boys to be apprentice spies and work for her. The other little girls don't quite know what to make of her sometimes! I'm just glad that for the time being she seems very comfortable being herself smile

That's funny . . . DD5 trained a couple of kids in her (non-gifted) kindergarten to follow her around barking like dogs. At the Thanksgiving feast, she introduced us, "Mama, these are my puppies." I like the things that smart kids do. laugh

C
    C
    Hi momtogirls! I always thought this was quite an odd unique thing to do Lol Whenever I tried to talk to any of my friends about it, they would just look at me like I had two heads...My ds at age 7 made up his own language with words, symbols, and facial expressions to go with it. In school he only used this made up language haha It was a phase for about 6 months...On and off now he has made up other various languages. Now he loves learning Latin and Greek. My dd6 is into only mirror writing...Teacher LOVES that!!! I love these creative kids of all of ours!!!

O
    O
    My kids did this too. They are now into other stuff. If it is driving anyone crazy, it may pass. It's fun to read the stories.

DD8.5 started her language around the age of 3 and sometimes reverts back to it when she is trying to think aloud and doesn't want DD3.5 to know what she is talking about. And vice verse - talk about confusing - each of them wandering around talking in their own language at the same time! (It drives DH husband crazy some days wink )

The funny thing is though that they also have their own language between themselves which no one else knows.

Some of my friends have commented on their "noises" and they explain that it is their language and sometimes give the details of it and sometimes not.

Originally Posted by NCPMom
    Ds8 and his aunt, who lives with us, have a strange language - I'm pretty sure it has a name, but they tend to keep it to them selves. She is in her late 50's, (as is dh - I'm a decade behind LOL), and ds spends alot of time with her on weekends, they keep each other out of trouble smile I think it started when she pretended to be an alien, who had landed here and knew NOTHING. Ds had to explain anything and everything to her, from the simplest stuff. It was a way for her to find out how much he knew on a certain subject (he's a great one for claiming he knows nothing) - but when he has to explain stuff to the alien, it's amazing what he DOES know. They communicate in a made up language at times, though I don't know if there are real words in there or just strange sounds that mean nothing to them.

wow, awesome aunt!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs