Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Dd 9 (HG) has created her own language... She calls it Meganese. She has lists and lists of words and meanings, and has also made phrases and sayings. She says she's going to teach the language to her friends... I'm not sure how that will go over! Pig latin, maybe, but I'm not so sure about her friends learning Meganese!

This seems like a very "gifted" thing to do, but I'm a little concerned about her obsession with it. She was speaking Meganese at breakfast this morning. I made her promise that she would not make up any bad words or mean words in Meganese. She said, "Oh Mom, of course not!"

DD is a very language oriented kid- reads at a 10th grade level. I guess she's trying to investigate more complexities of words. It's a little puzzling to me.

Has anyone else experienced this with your child? It just seems like an unusual thing for a nine year old to do...
    Perhaps we should look for a foreign language class for her.

If you search through the old threads on hear you will find that it's fairly common.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzette_Haden_Elgin

Also books that talk about Greek and Latin roots in words.

Yum!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    my kids haven't, but I've heard of it. if it was bothersome, I guess you could try teaching her a second language...

My kids are obsessed with the pig latin mutation "Ferb Latin" right now, hahaha!

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    DD6 has done this for years, where she makes a word up, and tells everyone else how to use it. But she usually discards them pretty quickly, so she hasn't taken that next step of developing it into a whole language.

U
    U
    Yes, DD has done this to some extent, too.

N
    N
    Ds8 and his aunt, who lives with us, have a strange language - I'm pretty sure it has a name, but they tend to keep it to them selves. She is in her late 50's, (as is dh - I'm a decade behind LOL), and ds spends alot of time with her on weekends, they keep each other out of trouble smile I think it started when she pretended to be an alien, who had landed here and knew NOTHING. Ds had to explain anything and everything to her, from the simplest stuff. It was a way for her to find out how much he knew on a certain subject (he's a great one for claiming he knows nothing) - but when he has to explain stuff to the alien, it's amazing what he DOES know. They communicate in a made up language at times, though I don't know if there are real words in there or just strange sounds that mean nothing to them.

We all have become fluent in Connerian (pronounced canary-an) as it is spoken in ConnorWorld. He now has a new universe "Dimension D" that also speaks Connerian. I just figured it was one of those things! smile

S
    S
    2giftgirls! Mine are totally obsessed with FerbLatin! lol..My 6 year old seems to have a problem with her mouth not moving as fast as her brain would like it, so I think these talking excersises are great for her...she's been trying tongue twisters too! This is actually the same kid who, when she was a todler made up all kinds of words! She still does...She uses words to describe things. like blobbery...I think she is going to have a great vocabulary because she inserts her own words for vocab words she hasn't learned. She is just waiting to learn more words to plunk into her sentences. smile I'm sure all her reading will get her there!

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Well, my husband asked DD if she would be interested in learning a foreign language...

She said no, she likes her language because it is all her own and nobody else knows what she is saying smile

Meanwhile, she spent about an hour last night writing sentences with her "words." If only her homework was in Meganese...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM