Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 141 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I think the bigger issue is the teacher's crazy grading criterion. You don't take additional points off for every occurence of the exact same error. That's just nuts.

When I was in high school, I had an English teacher who trashed my grade on a test because 1) I had scanned a line of poetry differently than she thought it should be scanned, but then also 2) I had counted the number of feet correctly for my scansion, but incorrectly for her scansion. In other words, there was not a second independent error, but she took more points off for it anyway.

That kind of stupidity is just inexcusable in a teacher.

I would leave the capitalization issue alone, and tackle the grading criterion issue.

Last edited by MegMeg; 12/01/11 03:26 AM.
    D
    D
    That's a straightforward error by the teacher and should be addressed.

Unless, of course, she ate a Canadian Goose for Thanksgiving, while a Siberian Tiger hunted a Steller's Jay in the backyard, scaring all the California Quail out of the California Poppies.

I wouldn't use this as a moment of self-advocacy at age 10, unless your daughter is particularly diplomatic by nature, as this will likely embarrass the teacher. I'd send a polite email to the teacher and, yes, ask that the grade be corrected.

FWIW... we had a similar situation with Canadian Goose vs. Canadian goose. Teacher offered a mea culpa to the class over it.

Dandy

p.s.
    Yes, for all the purist friends from up north (North?), I know it's officially a "Canada goose," but that's a whole different ball of wax to burn.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    Originally Posted by Dandy
    That's a straightforward error by the teacher and should be addressed.

I wouldn't use this as a moment of self-advocacy at age 10, unless your daughter is particularly diplomatic by nature, as this will likely embarrass the teacher. I'd send a polite email to the teacher and, yes, ask that the grade be corrected.
    I agree!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    J
    J
    It might be too late now, as your daughter might have already had a discussion with the teacher, but it's also possible that the teacher graded the paper holistically. As an occasional writing teacher, I assign a grade that takes into account content, sophistication of vocabulary, organization, flow of ideas, etc. When I mark something, it's usually only as a helpful note, not to "take points off."

Of course, if that's the case, the teacher absolutely should have noted helpful ideas for improvement. To have one "correction" be the only feedback on a paper is just bad teaching.

Last edited by jenner; 12/01/11 11:35 AM.
    mnmom23 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Just a quick update: DD talked with the teacher today and, when asked, showed the teacher the dictionary. After the teacher confirmed with the English teacher, she changed the grade. DD said she was pleasant about it. So, I'm proud that my DD decided to say something, and pleased that the teacher reacted positively. I don't like to rabble-rouse, so I'm just glad that all's well that end's well!

She thought she could, so she did.
    Originally Posted by mnmom23
    Just a quick update: DD talked with the teacher today and, when asked, showed the teacher the dictionary. After the teacher confirmed with the English teacher, she changed the grade. DD said she was pleasant about it. So, I'm proud that my DD decided to say something, and pleased that the teacher reacted positively. I don't like to rabble-rouse, so I'm just glad that all's well that end's well!

Hurrah! Sweet success.

Was it grade actually based on 'one off for each (non) error?' I'm just curious/incredulous.

Congratulations on DD's success.
    ((shrugs and more shrugs))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    A
    A
    What a great experience for your daughter to be able to respectfully challenge her teacher and have such a positive outcome. Yay!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM