Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    @polarbear - wow. I might have hauled off an popped that VP in the mouth for that.

~amy
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    VP replied (with a smile on her face), "Well, if she has an anaphylactic reaction in the classroom and dies, then we could give her a 504 with an accommodation."

Not only is that sickening, but it's also lawsuit-bait.

I hope your DC is well taken care of now...
    DeeDee

D
    D
    A doctor's not with allergy test results wouldn't have sufficed? Unbelievable.

G
    Giftodd Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Thanks all for your replies. There is some food for thought in there re what school/teachers are actually capable of expecting/producing.

Polarbear, your story is just shocking. I have no words!

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke
    L
    L
    Giftodd, wow. I fail to see how following directions well should count against your child? That is just silly. No matter how clear the instructions are, if she can't comprehend the concept she would not be able to follow the directions correctly!

It reminds me of a college exam I took once in which one of the questions was yes or no. So that is what I answered. But apparently the teacher expected an explanation as well, but did NOT ask for it on the exam. Of course I could have explained, but I didn't. The teacher noted that she had been looking for an explanation, but still had to mark the question correct since she hadn't actually asked for one!

And polarbear, I sincerely hope you reported that VP to the principal and the superintendent. The level of callousness in that comment is truly shocking.

B
    B
    Two routes I would consider for the "504 for death" comment. One is to find a disability rights advocate:

http://www.ndrn.org/

The other is to consider a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights.

Originally Posted by polarbear
    Originally Posted by lilswee
    My favorite was when they told me that my kid needed to not accelerate because they don't learn thousands until third grade....

I have so many of these quotes that you just never forget because they are so absurd!

FWIW, I'll throw one out there that has nothing to do with curriculum or giftedness - one of my dd's has life-threatening food allergies. We were having a meeting with the school nurse and vice principal prior to the start of 1st grade to discuss classroom concerns (the teacher wanted to cook inside the classroom and our dd has had anaphylactic reactions to airborne wheat/corn). The school VP was notorious for not wanting to make any accommodations of any kind for our dd, and when we brought up the issue with airborne wheat/corn, she told us (this is a direct quote) that "We can't do anything unless your child has actually has experienced an anaphylactic reaction in the classroom." So we pointed out that people with allergies are told specifically to avoid triggers for anaphylactic reactions in order to avoid the high risk of *death* from the reactions... to which the VP replied (with a smile on her face), "Well, if she has an anaphylactic reaction in the classroom and dies, then we could give her a 504 with an accommodation."

Sorry to wander off-topic!

polarbear

How long did it take you to stop hitting him, and how many people did it take to get you off him?

I am amused b/c DH (mathematician) said the same thing about geometry and teaching of "math" this morning -- because I complained about an innumerate phone-in show host.

He made another comment I found interesting; he doesn't think there have ever been a sufficient number of qualified teachers of mathematical reasoning/logic to meet the needs of the next generation. He's going back the length of history with that, I think he considers it to be a fundamental problem of the species. It was strong wording, and philosophically interesting to this non-math brain wink

-Mich

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Totally off topic in some ways, but my favorite story about stupid assessment/criteria is from when my son was assessed in math during the first week of 1st grade. In our parent/teacher conference, the teacher said he had failed a part of the math assessment. Needless to say we were shocked. She showed us the test and there was a section where the child was suppose to show the number 9 in 5 different ways. What they wanted was hash marks, domino, etc. My DS wrote things like 4 + 5, 20-11, 3 x 3, 3 squared, etc. The teacher said she could only give him credit for the addition one, because the others were not on the "list" of right answers!

To her credit, she was just following the rules and knew the result was phooey. She looked at what he did, joked that she was surprised he hadn't put down the square root of 81, and proceeded to try hard to differentiate for him. But you could see how another teacher might not have taken such an enlightened approach.

Last edited by Catalana; 11/30/11 08:12 AM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM