Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jenjunpr), 412 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #116402 11/16/11 03:47 PM
    K
    Kazzle Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Hello everyone. I am somewhat new to this gifted stuff... My 6 year old son was identified as profoundly gifted recently. He is attending kindergarten this year and is already experiencing a lack of challenge. We live in Minnesota about an hour outside of the Minneapolis/St.Paul area. We are desperate to find a school that is willing to let him learn at his own pace. We are considering moving to the metro area. Either way (moving or not) I would love to hear if anyone has had any good experiences with schools in MN. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome Kazzle! I sent you a PM (flashing envelope message). Can you tell us what your son is interested in and what his personality is like? There are many options in the Twin Cities, including a large GT homeschooling community if that is an option/interest. Each of the schools has its own personality too, some better for very self-motivated learners, etc.

With PG kids, sometimes what works for a while doesn't work in the next year, or the next 6 months. I'd be wary of moving, unless you plopped yourself in the midst of a bunch of options. With open enrollment in MN, you don't need to live in district, there just needs to be an opening in a particular school you're interested in. Plan on doing a bunch of tours, and ask for names of parents with PG kids who are willing to talk with you.

You will probably have more luck on the MCGT yahoo list available to members. www.mcgt.net There's a list of the GT schools in MN here: MN GT schools

Last edited by st pauli girl; 11/16/11 04:20 PM. Reason: manners
    I also sent you a PM. smile

She thought she could, so she did.
    K
    Kazzle Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thank you mnmom23 and st pauli girl. I live North of the metro (closer to St. Cloud). I think I should join MCGT. We just went to the annual conference last Saturday but we never joined. I definitely need to talk to other parents. I am completely lost. DS is already losing interest in school and it has only been 2 months, every other day. I don't know what we will do next year! I also wish my son could find playmates his age who are intellectually on the same level as him.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM