Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 356 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    drumroll please...we chose...
    Independent Study, or the homeschool "school", at least for the time being. The math has troubled her less since we've been working at home, especially the past couple of days...we don't HAVE to go in for the classroom time, but it's only 3 hours a week (after which she can have lunch at the school with friends) and they do science experiments that I might not have the resources for at home. They also have a peer tutoring lab and the school goes all the way to high school. Music, art, spanish and other clubs, etc that you participate in at the school. Plus computer lab and library and I don't have to pay for the materials...also, the same teacher does 3rd and 4th, so she knows what's coming next, if DD stays in 3rd. If it turns out she should go to 4th, all we have to do is switch books and classroom days. Today we visited the 4th grade and there were only 6 students! Also, since it goes to high school, the peer tutoring lab might be a great place to find a mentor...

Oh and they have lunch available...today it was sunbutter and jelly sandwich, baby carrots, apple slices and milk. Butter proclaimed it far superior to the "tray" lunch from her former school. She is excited about trying a new school and I'm so happy!

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    M
    M
    sounds like a good way to start the life of academic freedom smile I really hope it works out for her!

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    OP Offline
    master-I let her have the final say...I took her by today so she could meet the teacher and see how she feels about it. I think the biggest plus though is that we will know right away if it's working and now I'm less worried about moving her if it isn't working...she needs some kind of break from the daily environment and if we don't want to go that day or have other things going on, we don't have to go, how great is THAT?!?

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    S
    S
    I'm so thrilled for you two. Go Team!

~SDMom
    Every step taken is on the right path even if we don't know exactly where it will take us.
    D
    D
    Sounds like you have already made a decision on school. Just wanted to add that if your dd wants to learn to play an instrument, there is always an option of finding private instruction outside of school.

Donna, mom to ds15, ds13, and dd9.

www.ptmom.blogspot.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM