Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 359 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Thank you very much for the insights!

@Coll: Yes, I think I overestimated the maturity of 1st and 2nd graders, but since DD is still 5 years old and in a lot of ways act her age, we are not accelerating her yet. We may have to look at acceleration in the future, but since she is actually learning something in school and the Kumon enrichment is sufficient challenge for her now, we are not ready to jump through all the hoops to have the acceleration, which I know may involve finding a new school for her.

@La Texican: I guess my concern is really regarding asynchronous development and how to handle it, specifically, what parents do if their children are advanced more than 3 levels in certain areas, but are not quite as advanced or average in other areas. Thanks to the answers and articles posted here, I have a better idea on what to do in the future. It seems one needs to constantly adapt to future situations, as opposed to having it planned smoothly. One never knows what surprises these children have in the future.
    Regarding having a math tutor, I have an engineering degree and am capable to be her tutor in algebra, calculus, etc. I had lots of practice from high school to graduate school in assisting my classmates in math. The topics I really do not have the patience or the experience to teach are basic addition, subtraction and multiplication. Thankfully, the Kumon instructor is more experienced in that field and DW managed to guide DD at home until I took over for the more advanced material.

@Giftodd: Very good points. I know that the weak point of Kumon Math is word problems. However, it is working for us, as DD is building a strong foundation in numerical equations now. Word problems will be one of the things that I will have to enrich her curriculum with in the future. The asynchronous development meant that such simple word problems asking how much is 10 dozen will lead me to a very long explanation of what is a "dozen" and almost give away the answer to her. As she learns to read more and have a larger vocabulary, we do need to give her more word problems in the near future. After pondering what Coll said though, we need to also not overestimate expectations in certain grade levels. Even if the child cannot understand fully the Harry Potter book, the fact that they can read it correctly means they're already "advanced" compared to their peers. Comprehension starts a bit later, and I think Harry Potter, especially the later ones, are certainly many reading levels beyond first grade. You are right that DD is lacking in comprehension at times, but sometimes I know the problem is not just reading. She asks "why" all the time, and with child-like innocence, when she recently watched an animated feature film, she asked why does the bad guy hurt so many people to rule the world? I am at a loss of how to explain certain things, but grown-ups don't ask that kind of question.

J
    J
    Kumon is really not enrichment. We are in an area of California where 25% of the kids are Asian; many do afterschool Kumon cram schools. They know their math facts but lack basic problem solving skills.

U
    U
    Which one would you rather believe? Race to Nowhere or Waiting for Superman?

The two movies are about such different populations. I believe both, but I think the issues in Superman are relevant to a far larger group.

And if she doesn't do Kumon, she will just use that one hour to watch a replay of her favorite cartoons or play Angry Birds anyway.

Gently I say--but those are not your only options. Childhood is not a binary between screen time and Kumon, right? I am a big believer in free play, outside time, exercise, and time in nature.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM