Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 141 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Wren #115646 11/06/11 04:09 PM
    B
    B
    I don't have kids, but I am excited to see this discussion. Until I read _Living with Intensity_, it was like religion and giftedness were mutually exclusive. I grew up in the Bible Belt, and wanted to shake things up by inviting a Catholic Priest and a Rabbi to speak at my public school's Religious Emphasis Week. Traditionally, we had a different fundamentalist preacher speak every day of this week. Likewise, sunday schools as a general rule aim kind of low when planning their lessons.

I teach 6th grade world history in a public school. Major world religions are part of our content standards. I ask students to compile similar information (sacred texts, gods and goddesses, worship, impact on daily lives, afterlife) for each of the religions.

Our history textbook is not terribly helpful for this kind of information. For one thing, it won't touch controversy with a five-foot pole. Every once in awhile, I have to fill in a blank for students out of my own exposure to other religions. Still looking for a good age-appropriate source on the Muslim afterlife, for example.

Still, Cobblestone publishing sells back issues of Calliope and other magazines devoted to major world religions, and occasionally puts some of those articles on the web. Here are some about Buddhism for example:

http://www.cricketmag.com/1871

Wren #115651 11/06/11 05:54 PM
    T
    T
    Originally Posted by Wren
    And if you really start to research, which DD is a little young for, but how the church developed, Paul being a very good marketer, the real research, you see it was developed more to control populations. And how do you explain these things while still letting her pass the tests to get her first communion?
    I have not read all the replies yet, but I wonder what exactly you read in your research that led you to believe what you said here.

I suggest you continue to research and be sure to read writings by scholars like Scott Hahn and Stephen Ray.

Feel free to pm me for specific titles and other resources. The Catholic church is rich in history and tradtiton and there's ton of misleading information out there.

Wren #115664 11/07/11 05:59 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Thank you Terrilth for the links but I meant scholarly research.

Wren #115669 11/07/11 07:09 AM
    I give this thread a 50% probability of being smooshed.

Wren #115671 11/07/11 07:17 AM
    U
    U
    Sorry to go off-topic a bit, but DD has been asking recently for a good book that reviews all the world religions--any suggestions? DH and I are atheists but have very religious relatives, so we spend a lot of time talking about respecting others' views. DD used to say she didn't believe in God, but now is interested in "religion shopping."

Wren #115673 11/07/11 07:49 AM
    Usborne has an encyclopedia of world religions that the cover looks very pretty. I've never seen the book.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Wren #115676 11/07/11 08:15 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Much of the books are long read. DH has a habit of getting into a topic, like the Dark Ages and reading a dozen books or more on it and I tend to pick some up.

Now, Paul and the Gospels were the Classic period. So if you go back into that time period in your library or google, you can find many titles. I think a variety of books that covers the history, particularly by noted professors, will provide the information.

I think you have to read a variety of books to form a good opinion. After Classic, you can read about the church development during the Dark Ages, and into the Middle Ages, there is that Borgia period....

Ren

Wren #115677 11/07/11 08:24 AM
    S
    S
    Well, I can share that we've been attending a congregational style church here in New England- so kind of more formal but similar to our old Presbyterian church. It's been very interesting bringing our not-yet-tested-but-probably-gifted child to the 'children's moment' portion of church.
    The kids are supposed to sit on the stairs and have a nice informal chat with the pastor/speaker for that morning- usually a simple, easily understood lesson with a visual demonstration/aid of some sort.

Well, by age 2 my DS was LOUDLY incessantly insistently asking questions during the children's moment.
    "Where IS God? Is he in the belltower? Is God in THIS PLACE? Can we see him now? I'd like to see Jesus, please"
    You get the picture. Imagine all the parishioners uncomfortably shifting in their pews when my child is asking if God is in this place. Yikes.

I guess my point is, we've kept a sense of humor, we've done the best to meet him where he was conceptually and developmentally. Also, I don't have the answers, none of us can explain it all, and besides, we'd disagree. So, I ponder, describe things the way I feel are most helpful to MY child while honoring my version of religion, and use the 'faith' card. I don't know why/how, but that is what I have put my faith in...

Wren #115678 11/07/11 08:50 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Thanks Speechie. I think that relates to my point. HG kids usually don't just sit there and accept. When it doesn't seem logical, they ask the questions.

But since DD watches Nova about space concepts and how long ago everything developed, it doesn't fit with this 7 day period God created everything. And hence the questions.

Anyone hear about that museum somewhere in the south where they have dioramas with dinosaurs and man, because they want it to link to Creation theory. a la Fred Flinstone.

Wren #115679 11/07/11 08:53 AM
    I think I understand what Ren is saying/asking, although I am probably interpreting it in my own way.

DD asks a lot of questions about religion, and I like to "keep 'em coming". For my child, these types of complicated questions are fuel for her brain - the brain that seeks out complexity and contradictions, and revels in some of the beauty found in religion.

Ren, it seems to me what you are describing is the gap between what perhaps you believe and the standards that your church expects you to believe. We spent a little time at a Catholic school, and one of my "take-aways" was that the bar is set pretty high in terms of faith.

I really hope I am not offending anyone. and I'm hoping that my post isn't the one to "smoosh" the thread (thank you, JonLaw, for the laugh there).

Last edited by herenow; 11/08/11 06:57 AM.
    Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM