Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 208 guests, and 7 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    One more thought. "Not overly concerned with labels" strikes me as a little odd. I don't think labels define the child, but they sure do help both in getting the correct supports and services and in determining what and how to medicate. The therapeutic strategy would be quite different if it were a mood disorder vs. Asperger's vs. OCD. This is, to my mind, worth sorting out.

My instinct would be to get to a neuropsych and do a proper workup, because you'll be a better advocate for him if you know what he's dealing with.

This, this, a thousand times this!!!!

epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks guys for all the feedback. I think the child study center is probably the only place around here where we are really going to get all the info we want, but the waiting list is quite long.

Just an update, day 2 on concerta and no negative behavior reports today! I am cautiously hopeful.

~amy
    L
    L
    Interesting, the discussion here focuses on this as a 2E issue, but it was my understanding that over investing in "right" and "wrong" and outrage at injustice was an overall common gifted characteristic? Perhaps the extreme responses of some kids may be a consequence of ADHD, Aspergers, or other problems, but the concern for these issues itself seems to part of the gifted constellation, from what I've read. Too much emotional intensity combined with overdeveloped reasoning abilities in someone who doesn't have the world experience to put the "injustice" in proper context?

O
    O
    Originally Posted by LNEsMom
    Perhaps the extreme responses of some kids may be a consequence of ADHD, Aspergers, or other problems, but the concern for these issues itself seems to part of the gifted constellation, from what I've read.

My DS age 7 has learned to better control his responses despite his ADHD. One avenue we have used is chess. In chess, there are clearly outlined rules, and there are actions and consequences. The Susan Polgar "win with grace, lose with dignity" adage also applies.

Before our interventions (therapy and meds), DS would react in an extreme manner to what DS perceived as not following the rules. Now, with lots of effort and practice, his reactions are more calm and measured. Some of this is likely maturity, but I think lots of it is due to the steps we have taken together.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM