Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 141 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    HoneyBadger - the last link you provided is pretty much exactly how a developmental paed I recently heard speak described inattentive ADHD (he was speaking particular in gifted kids so maybe it's different in other kids, I don't know he didn't say).

Listening to him speak I realised that both my eldest and my husband have inattentive ADHD and that my middle girl possibly does too, though milder and without the co-morbidities.

Can I suggest you ask yourself why you think your DS has all the issues on the list but not ADHD? If you throw out preconceived notions of what inattentive ADHD is (mostly mine came from poor media coverage and hear-say) and think of it as this list then is that a good fit for your son? It's a great fit for my son. In fact that article was a great discussion of my whole family.

Hey MumOfThree --

I just got back from a consultation with my son's pediatrician. She agreed it sounded very much like he has Executive Function issues, but she said for insurance purposed she was coding it as ADHD-inattentive and she wants me to get him evaluated for that. She says insurance companies don't know what to do with EF terminology and she feels ADHD-Inattentive does fit him.

So we are going to go down that route now.

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Meanwhile I continue to research ways to help a child with Executive Function issues. This summer we worked on time and time management. Now I'm looking at "getting started on tasks" and "thinking and planning ahead."

Any ideas?

I did just find this resource -- seems a bit old but useful.

http://www.parentcoachcards.com/index.php?page=book

A
    A
    Two books that have been helpful here have been "Smart, But Scattered", and "Late, Lost, and Unprepared".

A
    A
    Smart But Scattered (which was a big help for me, in realizing that the EF shortcomings I was attributing to DD were really "she's not good enough in those areas to compensate for my own EF weaknesses") has some good suggestions for both of those. (I can't copy-paste out of Kindle Cloud Reader, sorry!)

Their suggested method of working on planning and prioritization worked well for us, but DD's issue was mostly "I don't know how to break down this overwhelming task."

We use the Chore Board of Doom (http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/allyphoe/Chore%20Board%20of%20Doom/ChoreBoard3.jpg - although the current board has far more items) at our house, and the tasks get done with little nagging. DD can choose what to do when, although if we leave the house without her having washed her face, washing after school does not count. wink I do give her a prompt to mind her board if I think she's running out of time, but if she runs out of time, the board closes earlier the next night.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by AlexsMom

I need one of those! For myself!!

A
    A
    Originally Posted by SiaSL
    I need one of those! For myself!!

Yes, me too!

J
    J
    Thanks for the book suggestions. I've been reading every day since they arrived, especially Smart but Scattered...I don't think it has any magic bullet solutions for us, but I've got a couple of new ideas that I'm going to trial this week...
    jojo

J
    J
    Ugh! I can't work out how to cut and paste a pic of my very cool to-do list. I got the idea from Smart but Scattered. It uses velcro to make two lists - one "to do" list and one "done" list. Once a job has been done, the child moves the job to the "done" list. It's great for those that need more than a checklist to keep on track in the morning. Since we've put it into operation this week, I'm less Sergeant-like in the mornings smile I can email the pic if you're interested...

jojo

A
    A
    Yep, that's what our chore board is from, too. I use dry-erase magnets and a magnet board because we had those, and didn't have velcro.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM