Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 366 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Deonne -- They didn't do a fall K MAP so the only two we have are last spring and this fall, unfortunately.

So, she's a strong writer -- good handwriting and very good spelling so that shouldn't be a factor in holding her back. I am just waiting for the other shoe to drop, but who knows maybe they will impress me! smile

Can you get your hands on the Iowa Acceleration Scales? There is an objective checklist you can use for both subject and full-grade acceleration to see if your child would be a good candidate. We used the form successfully to get a full grade skip for my son.

L
    L
    This discussion has been very enlightening to me, thanks for starting it! It inspired my own thinking about DS8's reading level, which I posted elsewhere on here.

I am envious of those of you who have MAP scores, apparently our school does nothing like this for assessment and I wish they did because it sounds like a very useful tool for advocating for your kid.

It seems to me that perhaps the teacher thinks she was reading on the 3rd grade level because that is the highest level they have offered your dd and she read it well. But they didn't offer her anything higher. It does seem strange that she didn't take the test scores more seriously. I mean, why do the assessment if you are not going to use it to meet the needs of the student?!

A
    OP Offline
    A
    LNEsMom -- so glad to hear it! Gosh you'd think it'd be helpful but so far it isn't -- so we'll see!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM