Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    LNEsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    It seems silly, but I realize that I don't really have a good idea of what a typical non-gifted 2nd grader would be reading. Magic Tree House?

The reason I am thinking about it is that my very mathy DS8 has finally gotten the reading bug, just at the point where I was becoming concerned about how far his reading lagged behind his math (although I have always been told that his reading is at or slightly above expectations). Over the course of the last month, my kid who would resist reading anything with more than 4-5 lines on one page has suddenly started reading Osborne's version of the Odyssey and just told me that he checked out the Lightning Thief from the library and read the first 20 pages right away (yep, here's the Greek mythology obsession!). I am thrilled that he is starting to read books that are closer to his comprehension level, which has always been very high. However, I don't really know how this fits with what typical 2nd graders do. I have a p/t conference in a week and I had planned on going in with a request for more math differentiation, but now I am wondering about reading. Should ask for something in that area or will he be ok with the typical curriculum? I'm just not sure? I don't want to go in with too many demands, but I also want to make sure he is getting what he needs. TIA for any ideas on this.

A
    A
    The middle 50% of typical non-gifted second graders are reading at Lexile levels between 150L and 500L.

http://www.lexile.com/about-lexile/grade-equivalent/grade-equivalent-chart/

Henry and Mudge, the Star Wars books, the Animorphs books, and Ricky Ricotta's Giant Robot are around the top end of that range.

ETA: The Lightning Thief is Lexile level 740L, around the middle of the average Lexile range for sixth graders.

Last edited by aculady; 10/28/11 09:33 AM. Reason: Added more info
    F
    F
    Some other books late second early third grade for boys..

Stink (Judy Moody's brother), Geronimo Stilton, Captain Underpants.

Also for early second grade I would suggest Fly Guy (series)

L
    LNEsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Oh my, I guess I should say something then, huh! lol I knew these books were above grade level, but I didn't know by how much.

Thanks for that link aculady, our school does not use lexile levels (that I know of) so this is an interesting site to browse. It looks like the level for the Odyssey is actually a bit higher than the Lightning Thief, although they are much shorter. And the Magic Tree House books, which I thought were maybe average are still above that Lexile level. Very interesting.

I am visiting his class this afternoon for a party and I think I am going to sneak a peak at the books in his bin. I am guessing they are probably not at this level, but I wonder what they are giving him to read.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by LNEsMom
    It looks like the level for the Odyssey is actually a bit higher than the Lightning Thief, although they are much shorter.

FWIW, my DD zoomed through the Mary Pope Osborne version of the Odyssey about 6 months before she was willing to tackle Percy Jackson. The length makes a big difference.

L
    LNEsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Yes, it will be interesting to see if he yet has the stamina to get through the entire Lightning Thief.

From what I read on the Lexile website, I guess their measure are about language complexity rather than length of book or content level, which still can make a big difference?

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM