Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Ann Offline
    Originally Posted by OHGrandma
    Temple Grandin is highly respected by those of us who raise livestock. Here is a quote from her website:

I think using animals for food is an ethical thing to do, but we've got to do it right. We've got to give those animals a decent life and we've got to give them a painless death. We owe the animal respect.

I really like that OHG. I'm a vegetarian, but I don't have any negative thoughts or ill will towards meat eaters (personal choice 'eh). Besides, my husband eats all the animals and I love him. I really like "We owe the animal respect.". Nice thought.

Ann Offline
    Hello, my name is Ann, and I suffer from rampant emotionalism. Echoes back... Hello Ann. My thoughts are wandering, sorry. Where's that cafe moderator?

The reason I became a vegetarian as a child was b/c I envisioned myself in the role of the animal. I would imagine their thoughts/feelings. I totally understand where Dottie's daughter was going with the lamp saga. I did the same thing when a plant got replaced. My poor mother, she�s very INTJ. It's nice to know that in this environment we can let our guards down and just be ourselves.

Hah! you guys are too much! Too easy to go off on a tangent with this group!

Yes, Dr. Grandin has used her amazing visual spatial skills to develop livestock management systems for the humane treatment of animals raised as food sources. She actually has incorporated sensory integration theory into some of what she does with the animals (eg: using deep pressure, close quarters as a calming for them).

But, the point I was making was not about animal rights. It was that Dr. Grandin is, I believe, a much better choice if you are wanting to know what it is like to have autism. She is also proof that someone with autism can accomplish great things.

Ann Offline
    Originally Posted by dajohnson60
    Hah! you guys are too much! Too easy to go off on a tangent with this group!

But, the point I was making was not about animal rights. It was that Dr. Grandin is, I believe, a much better choice if you are wanting to know what it is like to have autism. She is also proof that someone with autism can accomplish great things.

Oops. blush

Haha, didn't mean to sidetrack things either, I just wanted to express my admiration for Temple Grandin. I will add that one of her websites said her diagnosis was changed from autism to Asperger Syndrome.

Ann Offline
    [quote=Dottie]And to think I almost didn't read this thread!!! I'm glad you can appreicate my lamp dilema Ann, as I'm calling you for advice with the next bout of rampant emotionalism!/quote]

Glad to be of service Dottie! grin I'm looking forward to putting my talents...'er REism to good use. laugh

C
    C
    I agree with everything written here just now :0
    Good stuff!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM