Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Hi everyone. I am new here and would love some advice as I prepare for my sons upcoming conference. My son is in first grade and I am trying to figure out how to advocate for him. I am struggling with how best to approach the teacher and what is reasonable for me to ask for.

My son is not formally identified as gifted. He was tested for the schools gifted program last year but did not get in. His school uses the cogAT and NNAT tests along with MAP scores. His cogAT scores, in all three areas, were only in the low 120's with 132 being required. He did get a score of 136 on the NNAT (132 is required) and had MAP scores in both math and reading above 99% but without the required cogAT scores he was not accepted. I was not too concerned as it is a pull-out program of only two hours per week.

However I do feel my son needs enrichment and am not sure what is reasonable to request. Because he is not identified as gifted I have heard the school is much less willing to assist you. My son's Fall MAP scores are 209 in reading and 212 in math. With the new NWEA 2011 norms that puts him at:

Math: GL 99%, +1 99%, +2 94%
    Reading: GL 99%, +1 98%, +2 90%

My son, though happy overall with the social aspect of school, has been asking me daily when he will be able to learn something. He has even requested I talk to his teacher. I feel like I need to do something but am not sure what.

I am also considering outside testing. Though the school will not accept it I am wondering if it will help me make some educational decisions. I am wondering if we need to consider other schools or options. When testing is done does the examiner give recommendations on the best educational fit? DO you think it is worth testing with cogAT scores that are not in the gifted range?

Sorry this is a bit long, I would just love any input on how best to approach his teacher and what I can suggest for enrichment? I am happy to do enrichment outside of school but also want to make sure he is getting some of his needs met at school.

Thanks so much reading and for any advice you can provide!

Have you considered acceleration? You're armed with test scores that say that he's working well below his ability levels, so skipping him ahead to 2nd grade is a viable alternative to the gifted program.

Boys present a bit of a bigger challenge when it comes to grade-skipping, though, because of the physical nature of their social interactions. Another alternative would be for him to spend part of his day in a 2nd grade class, doing math and/or language arts. Some schools end up creating combination classes of 1st/2nd grades just to accomodate this.

Just some thoughts.

P
    P
    My DS had similar MAP scores in 1st grade and was subject accelerated for Math then eventually grade accelerated. The school ability grouped for reading so he already was grouped for that. The school psych did cognitive/achievement testing and the IAS to see if he was a good candidate for grade skip. 2nd grade math may still be too easy - it was for my DS. I think outside testing would be good - we ended up doing it at the end of his 1st/2nd year so that we could apply to a HG program in a neighboring district - the report made suggestions for programs, etc. that he would need. Also, if gives you a more accurate and individual assessment and will give you a better idea of the child you are dealing with than group assessment tests. Good luck.

F
    F
    Can I say, I am jealous! My ds is in kinder.. his fall math MAP was 190. I have been trying to get that acceleration but our district math director doesn't believe in grade accelerating for math frown .

The problem is, Illinois has no provisions for identifying or accommodating gifted programs. No support at that level. Our district does have a gifted magnet but it doesn't start until third grade.

P
    P
    Another thought that occurred to me was to ask the teacher how many other kids in his class have close to those MAP scores and whether they can be grouped together to work at a higher level/faster pace.

F
    F
    Originally Posted by Deonne
    Another thought that occurred to me was to ask the teacher how many other kids in his class have close to those MAP scores and whether they can be grouped together to work at a higher level/faster pace.

The principal asked the k teacher this question (before I met with them) and she laughed at him. This is only the second year our school has tested kinder and first. His teacher didn't have a score this high for spring kinder last year. There is no one to cluster with in kinder.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thank you all so much for your responses!

I have not considered grade acceleration but have considered subject acceleration. I like the idea of asking if kids with similar MAP scores could be grouped together. I also really appreciate the insight as to how to approach the teacher. Kcob I will use those suggestions next week during the conference. Thank you!

I tend to be a bit shy so I feel a little uncomfortable when I am forced to speak up but I know I have to do it for my son. And I do want the teacher to know I am working with her and will help however I can.

Oh and frannieandejsmom I feel your pain. My son also had a Math MAP score of 190 at the beginning of kindergarten last year. It only went up to 194 by the end of the year. I believe because he did not do any math at his level last year. I think he learned more over the summer doing his own thing which is why I think there was a jump from spring to fall of this year. I might be wrong but that seems logical. Sorry, I hope it turns out better for your ds. It sure is frustrating!

F
    F
    TXmomto1 .. He tested in the spring for early entrance to first (he missed the reading score by 6pts). His score was 174. He wanted to do math all summer... so we did. His top item on his birthday list (he will be 6 in November) is the math blaster game. He LOVES numbers and patterns. Always has.. I just wish the schools would look at these kids like they look at the other end.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Our kids sound like two peas in a pod! My friend gets a kick out of the fact he asks to do math at night for fun :-)Too bad you are in IL and I am in TX. I bet our kids would have fun together!

My dd who is in K is getting accelerated for math and reading. She is still bored and tired by the end of the day so I send workbooks with her so she can work on her level even in her normal class. The teacher and I have been working on it.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations