Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 344 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I would try using EPGY math. It is a computer interface, and presents only one problem at a time in a fairly large typeface. Answers are typed in. This helps my DD immensely!

For paper calculations, try using graph paper with 1/2 inch squares and faint lines. This can help line up columns for long-division, etc.

I would have him work on the math facts daily, but NOT TIMED. It's important not to give up on this because knowing these facts will take a lot of burden off his working memory and allow him to work out more complex problems.

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks for the advice. The principal, who moved up from the elementary school where we were and knows me well, backed me up this time. He sent me an email letting me know he'd seen the email, was appalled and would accommodate us with whatever choice we made - whether to move my son to a new teacher, to work through the problems with this teacher or have him tutored one-on-one during that period. I think he's very aware with the comments in writing that it could go poorly for him as an administrator, but I have no desire to throw anyone under the bus. I just don't want my son in a class with a teacher who will not acknowledge that accommodations are not cheating and that disabilities do not equal poor learner.

We have a conference scheduled for next week (it was my choice whether the teacher was there or not, so I asked that she be included). It will involve the head of the special ed department, the teacher, my husband and I and the principal.

I said that I wanted this to be a learning experience for all involved and that I wanted to work through it if possible - but not at the detriment of my son's progress and confidence. Whether my son stays in her class after this or not, it is vital that the teacher learn from this experience so that she can be a better fit for someone else who may enter her class who has a learning disability.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM