Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 337 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    acs Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    I suspect that if I'd spent less time on boys at a neighboring college and more on school,

kinesthetic?

acs #11266 03/11/08 09:25 PM
    If you're doing it right! <smirk>

Kriston
    acs #11276 03/12/08 03:49 AM
    Originally Posted by acs
    I've been trying to figure out what is so confusing about this. It's that I know that I'm auditory, but I hate details and am very intuitive. In college I would not read the book and just go to class to listen to what the prof said. I virtually never wrote anything down. But I would listen for the big picture. If I could tell by the prof's voice that this was an important detail I might scrounge around for a pen and write it down because I'm not good with details. Usually, though, I never had to look at my notes. Once I heard it, it was in there permanently if it was a concept. But if I had to actually memorize something (like lines for a play or the structure of a nucleic acid), that was a real struggle.

So my two defining characteristics are that I learn by hearing and I hate memorizing details but love big concepts. So does that make me auditory/non-linear. I am so not visual!

And then when you asked where I was this time yesterday, I felt myself in bed waking up from a nap and smelled DH cooking dinner. Does that make me kinisthetic/olfactory?

I am so confused!!!!

actually acs, you might welll be auditory/non-linear! Silverman was the first to talk linear/non-linear, but Josh Shane does a great job with the varieties of non-linear thinking. I can't wait until some of it get written down!

You may actually be a kinisthetic learner,(in the end I think that's my best learning style) as the emotion in the teacher's voice, which you may have experienced vicariously as you listened, is what you were looking for. Most folks are good at learning in many ways, but some who are excellent VS, are susprisingly weak in otherways - and I believe this is what Silverman found and was able to discribe. People who use a variety of stratagies to fit various situations are called:"Smart" no?

I think Meta-cognition is a worthy study, but I think the only reasonable goal is to figure out what are the prefered methods, and to develop all one's resources for taking in information.

Make more sense?
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Mia Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    P.S. In college, I either went to lecture or read the book--rarely did I need both. (Auditory/visual?) If I went to class, I wrote things down and reviewed my notes only right before the exam, and then mostly only because I was anal-retentive. The act of writing them down the first time pretty much cemented the whole lecture in my head--both big picture and details. (Auditory/Kinesthetic?) I could usually remember where on the page the info I needed was located. (Visual?) I would hear in my head the words I needed to write for the essay questions on the exams. (Auditory?)

Kriston, the more you write, the more certain I am that we were separated at birth ... that was me to a tee. smile

Benj skews toward the visual, I think, but at this point he does pretty much all right with however. I think he falls somewhere in the middle, but he does have some strong visual tendencies (video games, anyone? laugh ).

Mia
    Mia #11296 03/12/08 07:56 AM
    grin

Kriston
    Q
    Q
    DS has always said he learns "by voice," yet he also does well with visual material. He likes nothing better than studying any sort of guide where he can compare every possible combination of something - all the types of bears in the world, all the various spaceships, all the whatevers of the Star Wars series, etc. That, and watching tv, of course (documentaries are fine). And I suppose he is non-linear b/c he can see something and understand the big picture and make observations about things others overlook. But he's also linear, I think...

As for me, I always hated lectures because they went too slow for me. I'd much rather read the book. I'd usually take notes as a way to force myself to listen, or I'd doodle, or play word games on my paper. Interestingly, recently (in the last few years), I am able to sit through lectures and enjoy them. Maybe that's because in school, I had all these other things I liked to do, and now I am so grateful to be OUT that I'll sit through anything?

Isa Offline
    I am a little bit confused...

is non-linear = visual and linear = auditory?

What about kinestetic learners?

As well, many of the characteristics of the visual are the same that those of HG+.
    Are HG+ people more visual than the general population?

Isa #11355 03/12/08 01:37 PM
    D
    D
    This is my understanding;

Non-linear vs. Linear
    Holistic vs. Sequential
    Visual vs. Auditory
    Right-brained vs. Left-brained

I once heard a memorable quote regarding this which stated that left-brained individuals usually have higher grades (as a group), but right-brained individuals usually have higher IQs (as a group).

Isa #11356 03/12/08 01:39 PM
    S
    S
    non-linear = visual-spatial (right-brained) learner
    linear = auditory-sequential (left-brained) learner

I'm not entirely certain, but I think kinesthetic would be a subset of visual-spatial. Under this theory, anyhow, there are only two kinds, not the many kinds under (Gardner's?) theory of Multiple Intelligences.

About giftedness, my understanding is that HG+ are likely to have superior skills with both left- and right- brained learning. Silverman notes that the kids who scored very well on IQ tests did very well with visual-spatial items - it sounds as though it would be difficult to score as high if one did not have visual-spatial strengths:

"I�d like to share with you how the visual-spatial learner idea originated. Around 1980, I began to notice that some highly gifted children took the top off the IQ test with their phenomenal abilities to solve items presented to them visually or items requiring excellent abilities to visualize. These children were also adept at spatial tasks, such as orientation problems. Soon I discovered that not only were the highest scorers outperforming others on the visual-spatial tasks, but so were the lowest scorers. The main difference between the two groups was that highly gifted children also excelled at the auditory-sequential items, whereas children who were brighter than their IQ scores had marked auditory and sequential weaknesses. It was from these clinical observations and my attempt to understand both the strengths and weaknesses that the concept of the �visual-spatial learner� was born."
    http://www.visualspatial.org/Articles/intro.pdf

As has been discussed above, many people are a mix. For example, my DH is HG, and is strong with both left and right brain things, though if forced to choose he'd probably choose visual over auditory. So, to answer your question, I would say that yes, HG+ people are probably more visual than the general population - but then, they may well have greater auditory-sequential strengths as well - just plain "more"! Somewhere in her book, Silverman says that those who heavily favor only auditory-sequential learning can visit the world of the visual-spatial learner but cannot live there.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM