Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 145 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    J
    jaylivg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Sounds like you've made a bit of progress getting a "better educational fit" for your son. It is a start. When will he start going to the 2nd grade classroom for reading?

Do you know what test they gave him for math? What would you think about asking the school for your son's scores?

Do you have a sense of what kind of math your son is capable of doing? Has he shown you he has learned math not taught in his classroom?

He will start going to 2nd grade for reading around nov 1st .
    I really don't know for sure what kind of math test they given him , this was back early september .

So far my son who is 6.5 years old is able to do 3 digits addition and subtraction ( regrouping and no regrouping ) , and also he had just figure out himself how to multiply . I never taught him how to multiply , but he told me he can count by 3.4.5 all the way to 10 .. and then out of curiosity i just asked him multiplication and he got it . And of course this wasn't taught in the 1st grade yet .. he also does good with counting money , math stories , telling time ever since he's 4 years old , how many minutes to the hours .

Do I understand you to mean that the school doesn't think you should pursue educational testing because they already know he is gifted?

According to the school ( he goes to private school ) , it would just back up what they already know , and even if he took the test , it wouldn't help the case because it's only going to help if they have learning diabilities / lower IQ .

A
    A
    AllieOop,
    I have to agree with DeeDee here. It is entirely possible to be highly or even profoundly gifted and still have ADHD, AS, sensory integration dysfunction, processing disorders, or other issues that you are better off finding out about early on when intervention is easier and more effective.

This link lists some of the most well-known evaluators for highly gifted children. Most of them are also knowledgeable and helpful for sorting out '2-E' issues, where giftedness co-exists with some sort of deficit or challenge.

You may really want to get a copy of James Webb's "Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnosis of Gifted Children and Adults", which does a great job of helping parents and professionals differentiate between gifted traits and other issues, so that parents, teachers, and medical professionals can act appropriately to help. Brock and Fernette Eide's work is also well worth reading.

I would go so far as to say that ADHD, when combined with strong giftedness is a very different disorder....it presents differently and has a different (better) prognosis. Some of the standard diagnostic criteria....such as tracable to age 7, becomes less important. (Highly gifted girls with ADHD-I in underchallenging classrooms are difficult to detect before puberty.)

I also have my doubts about the 2 settings rule...I think that often HG children with ADHD have HG, Moms either with ADHD or grew up with ADHD siblings, who are good enough at problem solving to figure out ways to co-exist with the challenges od ADHD(I) without batting an eye. Just like our Yardsticks are way off in detecting unusual levels of Giftedness it is quite to have a distorted Yardstick for ADHD symptoms.

I like remembering that ADHD is a developmental issue....kids with this challenge are maturing out of their old symptoms all the time. It is 'just' that the bulk of other students are maturing even faster and now the bar is raised again! Darn! To me it seems quite expected that kids who have more 'brains' to manage due to Higher levels of Giftedness have more work to do in managing those 'brains.' Plenty of kids I know handle this bigger challenge just fine. Plenty of kids I know do not. Having Supersensitivities is fairly common...how a kid reacts to this increased sensory stimulation says a lot about if they might also have 'GADHD'

Ok I just made up GADHD....but that's how I'm seeing the world this week....((shrugs and more shrugs))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    ADHD is a popular condition with respect to seeking child SSI benefits. Parents use child SSI benefits as household income, so seeking diagnosis of this condition is sometimes viewed as seeking secondary gain (money).

Bipolar is the diagnosis that lots of people are getting these days, more from GPs than psychiatrists, coupled with prescriptions for Xanax. My psychiatrist BIL sees it a lot. He's of the opinion that the diagnosis often means that you are poorly educated and angry, more than anything else. Diagnoses seem to be run as fads, and for the last few years, it's been bipolar disorder.

i'm in none of the related fields but i definitely see this and didn't question your first comment at all. i do have social worker and artist friends though so LOL

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM