Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    OP Offline
    S

Last edited by syoblrig; 01/26/14 10:01 PM.
    P
    P
    syoblrig-

This has to be very frustrating. Who have you met with? Do you have a full report for either the private eval or the school eval? Is there someone you can hire to be an advocate? It sounds like you may have to take things to the next level to get an appropriate education for your child. Other people here know much more than I do about the legal options available to you.

With that said, I also have a DS9 who is HG and dyslexic. He is in 4th grade. We just got the dyslexia diagnosed at the end of 3rd grade. I have been very lucky to have a principal that works very well with me. DS9 was in the same situation....IQ scores high enough to qualify him for the gifted pull-out, but achievement scores below the cut-off. I am very lucky that the principal had no hesitition in making an exception for DS, knowing the situation with the dyslexia. His gifted math was very hesitant and concerned that he would not do will in her class. Well now she is eating her words. She has been blown away by how well he is doing....in fact he has a 100 average in the class.

I say all of this to encourage you to continue fighting to get your son into the gifted program. My DS is thriving there, where he is still mediocre in his non-gifted classes. It is hard to convince people that our HG children will actually do better when challenged appropriately.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Perplexed-- thanks for your thoughts! We're obviously walking down a similar road with boys the same age. Glad things are going well for you.

A
    A
    If he has a 504 plan in place that wasn't followed when assessing him for the gifted program, they should at least allow him to retake the testing with his accommodations (reader, extended time, scribe, everything he has in his plan) or they are clearly violating his rights and knowingly denying him access to the program solely on the basis of his disabilities. If he is accepted to the program, the 504 accommodations should also remain in place: the district cannot make a child choose between being gifted and having a disability.

You could make a strong case that he shouldn't be assessed for the gifted program using any test that could be unduly impacted by his dyslexia - it would be like assessing a blind person for intelligence using a visual test, and would not give a true picture of his abilities.

With the right accommodations in place, there is no reason that a gifted kid with dyslexia shouldn't do just fine in a gifted program. If he struggles with it due to the dyslexia, the answer is almost certainly to tweak the accommodations.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations