Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 208 guests, and 7 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    bess Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Hi I am a Ph.D student at the University of Montreal. I am doing a study on gifted childrens' adjustment and parenting styles. My goal is to find out if gifted children have different adjustments needs and what type parenting style is best suited for them. I am looking for gifted children betwen 7-11 years old and their parents.
    For more information, message me! Or email: pilarinos_bessy@hotmail.com

Yeah, I'd like to hear the answer to what you find out. Omg I've got so many questions. What's an adjustments needs? Nevermind, I just googled and it's a type of in-class differentiation. Parent of a pre-k and a toddler here, so I can't help your study. Parenting styles is addressed in James Webbs "Parenting the Gifted Child"... There's permissive, authoritarian, and authoritative. Authoritative is the one to use for gifted children. I think they mean like Cesar Milan as the pack leader. He's never cruel but always asserts that he's the pack leader. There's a program called "Get Off Your Butt Parenting"�. That sounds good. I haven't tried it out yet.
    Helicopter vs free-range? Depends on the kid, their age, the time and place.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    C
    C
    [posting here, rather than IMing, as I suspect it may save other people saying the same thing]
    In principle I'm happy to help. However, you should have a look at this thread:
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/109361/1.html
    concerning another request for us to help with research. In particular, notice that many people here were quite concerned to ensure that the study was legitimate, had ethics approval, had an appropriate supervisor, etc. etc. We are helpful as a group, but we're also a cautious bunch and not likely to share information* about our children with someone via a hotmail email address... Let me gently suggest that a more professional approach will get you a lot more cooperation.

*identifying information, e.g. real names and locations, that is; obviously we share information anonymously here in public.

Last edited by ColinsMum; 09/24/11 02:28 PM. Reason: clarity

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    W
    W
    I like that post La Tex. Helicopter vs Free Range?

It is amazing where they come up with this kind of stuff. I still think about listening to a Bill Cosby reoord (for those who do not know, comediens did make records, black flat things) and he talked about the need to go out to the wood shed and do a whooping because kids needed to know right from wrong.

We don't spank but I was spanked. And maybe there is something to consequences. And gifted kids? I do talk to my child about all these things but I notice her taking more risks and my consequences need to get more strident. Gifted or not, it is the kid.

Had a conversation with a mother yesterday, we had movie night at school, and she mentioned that she was sure her 14 year old was not doing the friends with benefits thing or having sex, yet she said in the next breath, that she had sex at 15. And I was wondering if her mother knew that?

This has nothing to do with the parenting study in Montreal and I agree, show some legitimancy before I waste my time. But I am at burnout. Just moved 9 days ago, had DD's birthday party today and the movie night yesterday, while juggling other things. Would love to sack out like DH but I have to walk the dog first.

Ren

yes, I would like to know the purpose too. I fit the criteria but would not volunteer until the motive is revealed

I was approached about this study a few months ago and have received detailed information about it from Bessy. I'm sure she will provide it to anyone interested in participating. It is indeed a legitimate study through the University of Montreal.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    B
    bess Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Some quick replies!
    Yes the study is with the Univerisity of Montreal, approved by an ethics comittee. My supervisor is Catherine Solomon-Scherzer, Ph.D. I am conducting this study for my Ph.D. thesis.

Here is what I would like to answer with my study:
    -Do gifted children have greater adjustment problems than non-gifted children in terms of behaviour, emotional and self-esteem issues or are they equivalent?
    -Which parenting style (authoritative, authoritarian or permissive) is linked to either a positive or negative adjustment in gifted children.

Keep up the questions, comments! If you need more information don't hesitate to message me.
    Bessy

A
    A
    I sincerely hope that you will be controlling for the effects of appropriate/inapropriate academic placements in this study (as assessed by parent and child report, IQ testing, and out-of-level achievement testing), as this almost certainly has more of an effect on gifted children's social adjustment than any other single factor.

My child is too old for your study; otherwise, I would be happy to participate.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations