Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by mimmy03
    I get frustrated when I hear her teachers tell me she could get better grades if she applied herself....she can't read the questions on the comprehension test (about the story) she fails the test. If you were ask her orally the questions she could tell you the answers. I feel all of this is affecting her grades imo.

I'm really not sure where to go from here.
    I'm not sure where you should go either. It is SO frustrating to hear the teachers say that she isn't applying herself, and you have to pray that the teachers aren't saying this to her directly, although that certianly did happen to us when my son was in 2nd grade.

Do the teachers know that she can't read the comprehension questions?

I can say that her WISC results don't match up at all with the descriptions you provide, so it's not suprising that there isn't much of a discrepancy between WISC and WAIT. Both are far from what you are seeing at home. (Even the Verbal WISC which is totally verbal in it's administration just doesn't sound like her.)

I wonder if your dd's reading problems are difficult for the school to detect because her intelligence is allowing her to 'scam' the tests without knowing she is doing that.

I would send a letter to the school saying that you are very concerned that she can't read and what can they offer to do about it.

I do have a tip for Math: Use notebook paper turned sideways. It may be that having columns to work with helps her check to see if the numbers are in the right places.

I think that I would make some videos of your daughter talking about some favorite topic in great detail, and using the secrete language and bring them with you to your next school meeting and any future doctor visits.

It might be worth asking your pediatrician to give some advice or options. Perplexing!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Ginity - good idea about the math paper. My son did this. Some kids like to use graph paper for the same reason - but ds found it too busy. When he was especially tired, I'd copy the problems onto the paper to help him get started.

mimmy - is she in a US public school? Have you made a special ed referral and requested a full evaluation? Schools MUST evaluate in all areas of suspected disability if they get a referral - even if they think the child is too smart or the mother is crazy!! While I much prefer private evaluations to school because of their independent and diagnostic nature, schools need only to "consider" independent evaluations. It makes sense to get the school evaluations going - hope that they are of decent quality and that they will indicate remedial reading help and accommodations. You can still have the independent evaluation lined up to go in after to expand on the results, give you a diagnosis and offer a more independent interpretation.

www.wrightslaw.com offers great info about the special ed process
    http://concordspedpac.org/RequestEval.htm contains a template for a letter

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM