Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    LNEsMom, our district uses Everyday Math too. When I first realized DS6's math skills were advanced, I called our district's central office and asked to speak to someone who could help me with the elementary math curriculum. That person navigated me through the district's website to get to the info. Without that information, I'd have never realized DS6 was two years ahead in math. I'll PM you and send you the link to our district's Everyday Math detailed curriculum.

L
    LNEsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks for your suggestions! Revmom, yes ds missed the cut off by 4 days so he turned 8 the second week of school. He actually, mentioned to me that he thinks he could be in 3rd grade no problem! lol

But seriously, if it weren't for the visual processing concerns, we might consider it. He is still assessed at right above grade level in reading (so the school doesn't see a problem there) but I know he is underachieving for him. Reading is such a struggle for him physically, I think we'd have to make some serious progress there before I would consider a skip.

Honestly, what I really want I probably can't get. Which is an accelerated curriculum. Let him go on to the next unit if he has clearly mastered the current instead of hanging around doing worksheets and playing dice games until everyone else gets through it. But I recognize that this would be rather challenging for his teacher who is differentiating within the classroom (in 1st they switched classes for math, but 2nd has decided to keep the kids in their homerooms, which seems like a huge challenge to me).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM