Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by jack'smom
    I asked the teacher yesterday how he was doing and she paused and said, "he was talking about penises in class so I took him outside and explained that we don't talk about the penis at school."

BWAHAHA!!!

Mr W did the same thing and also made funny noises and told scatological jokes in his PreK class. We talked to him about this.

Now the Womb Raider is crawling around making the same noises.

LOL.

Last edited by Austin; 09/16/11 02:43 PM.
    J
    J
    I'm a cardiologist but maybe I should have told the teacher, "oh, I'm a urologist! We talk about the penis all of the time!!"

P
    P
    Vent warning -- I spent a morning observing the lower elementary grades at a private school near us and it was not confidence building. They said they typically had one kindergartener per class enter reading each year, and that was any reading. They seemed very confident they could do in class differentiation (they had no option for accelerating in a subject) but on questioning that was going to entail having the child read pretty much the same material as the top "reading" group in the class, but look for different or additional aspects of it beyond what would normally be expected. Okay, but the books have typically less than a sentence per page, what's DSs plot summary supposed to say, something like, "In this work, Spot is seen exercising"?

No wonder US teachers can confidently say everyone evens out by 3rd grade, I'm sure most would with that approach. At this particular school, with compulsive emphasis on obedience, rules, points, rewards, decorum, etc, and near total exclusion of concepts and other content, I'm sure DS would be barely breathing by 3rd grade.

I haven't observed the public school yet but if private schools tend to run a bit ahead of publics it doesn't bode well... makes me feel kind of ill.

Polly

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...