Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    A trick: think about what you were doing yesterday at this time.

Did you see yourself doing it, or did you think of the words "fixing dinner" or "typing on the computer"?

If you saw the picture, you probably tend to be more visual. If you thought of the words, you're probably more something else.

Hmmmm....interesting. I definitely see a picture of what I was doing. I never thought about anyone seeing anything other than a picture. So some people see words in their heads for what they were doing? I think I am visual but I am visual sequential. I am not very spatial I don't think. My DS is spatial I believe. He likes things very messy at all times and has no concept of time. If I say we're leaving in 5 minutes then that means to him that when I am walking out the door he should then get ready! Drives me crazy.

It appears most of Linda Silverman's books are not being sold currently other than on ebay or amazon market. Why have her books gone out of print?? Is there hope they will be reprinted at some time?

I have a running commentary going in my head too but if I think about what I was doing yesterday I picture myself doing something.

I was visualizng other people actually seeing words written in their heads and I couldn't quite get that. ROFL!

LOL! Visual, visual, visual!

Kriston
    Ok, Dottie, I'm scared to say this but.....I get what she's saying!! I guess I am very visual aren't I??? smile

acs Offline
    I've been trying to figure out what is so confusing about this. It's that I know that I'm auditory, but I hate details and am very intuitive. In college I would not read the book and just go to class to listen to what the prof said. I virtually never wrote anything down. But I would listen for the big picture. If I could tell by the prof's voice that this was an important detail I might scrounge around for a pen and write it down because I'm not good with details. Usually, though, I never had to look at my notes. Once I heard it, it was in there permanently if it was a concept. But if I had to actually memorize something (like lines for a play or the structure of a nucleic acid), that was a real struggle.

So my two defining characteristics are that I learn by hearing and I hate memorizing details but love big concepts. So does that make me auditory/non-linear. I am so not visual!

And then when you asked where I was this time yesterday, I felt myself in bed waking up from a nap and smelled DH cooking dinner. Does that make me kinisthetic/olfactory?

I am so confused!!!!

acs #11252 03/11/08 06:41 PM
    Originally Posted by acs
    And then when you asked where I was this time yesterday, I felt myself in bed waking up from a nap and smelled DH cooking dinner. Does that make me kinisthetic/olfactory?

acs I have no idea who you are, but let me tell you I would love to wake up from a nap smelling DH cooking dinner LOL

I am visual and so is DS5. DS3 is audio. It was very obvious from early on that they each processed information and learned in very different way.

LMom
    Originally Posted by acs

I'd say kinesthetic, yes. But, acs, I really think you're a combo platter! I don't think you're one thing or another.

Kriston
    acs #11258 03/11/08 07:53 PM
    Originally Posted by acs
    In college I would not read the book and just go to class to listen to what the prof said. I virtually never wrote anything down. But I would listen for the big picture. If I could tell by the prof's voice that this was an important detail I might scrounge around for a pen and write it down because I'm not good with details. Usually, though, I never had to look at my notes. Once I heard it, it was in there permanently if it was a concept.

Interesting. You just totally described me in college. I remember that I began diligently writing notes, because that's what everyone else did. But I never looked at them. I finally quit taking notes and just listened, then I could remember it all. But since I went to a college where attendance wasn't mandatory, I didn't do as well as I could have! I actually chose a law school based on the fact that it had a mandatory attendance policy, so I would get my money's worth and be forced to learn it by hearing it. smile However, I am also quite visual - when I took tests and didn't quite remember something, I would picture the material in the textbook.

About the olfactory sensing - i have to share DS4's comment today. Since we live in the frigid north, today's 40 degree temps were like spring to us. He said, "it smells like spring out here. Wait, no, it smells just like ___ Park." This is a park out of town that we went to a year ago after a rain. Love those nose memories!

When I first came to this forum, one of the questions I had was whether my DS6 was a Visual-Spatial learner or not. He had many of the indicators--puzzles, mazes, patterns, etc.--but he didn't seem to be an all-or-nothing learner, as VS kids are often described, and he seemed to learn quite well through auditory channels.

I think it was Dottie, actually, who say something to the effect of, "Ya' know, a lot of times the really, really smart kids learn well any which way." (Naturally that's a lousy paraphrase of her well-written remarks.)

I think the parents of HG+ kids tend to be pretty sharp themselves. Ya'll may just learn well any which way! smile

Kriston
    P.S. In college, I either went to lecture or read the book--rarely did I need both. (Auditory/visual?) If I went to class, I wrote things down and reviewed my notes only right before the exam, and then mostly only because I was anal-retentive. The act of writing them down the first time pretty much cemented the whole lecture in my head--both big picture and details. (Auditory/Kinesthetic?) I could usually remember where on the page the info I needed was located. (Visual?) I would hear in my head the words I needed to write for the essay questions on the exams. (Auditory?)

My conclusion: I'm highly visual, but I'm sequential instead of spatial, and I'm a strong auditory learner as well. FWIW...

As an aside, I suspect that if I'd spent less time on boys at a neighboring college and more on school, I'd have had straight-As. As it was, I graduated with a 3.8something and lots of memories. It was the closest I came to getting over my perfectionism.

C'est la vie! smile

Kriston
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM