Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Pru
    It really does give me chills. Have I really been scolding and resenting what I perceive to be inordinate stubbornness or simple laziness in a child who may in fact be suffering from a real disability? Ouch.

What to do? I take it there is not a go-to handbook for this either.

I love these moments in life, even when they make me cringe for my former behavior - I love when the curtian drops and the penny drops and I finally have a path forward. Yum!

I dont' know any particular book (except my favorite go-to for almost anything book: "Transforming the Difficult Child Workbook" by Lisa Bravo which I think would work, actually, but has nothing specific about this particular challenge)

but Aimee Yermish might have an article written or be about to write one on this topic - she's like a walking handbook on this topic!

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by LinCO
    DD(8) thinking=99th, working memory=6th. She's completely organized and remembers what her "special" class is that day, where she goes after school. But she can't remember all of the smoke that covered our area from the Arizona fires in June. DS#2 is very distressed with her not reading chapter books - she complains they are "boring." This sounds like trouble concentrating to me.

So it looks like once DD8 gets into a routine, she can do really well with it. She is probably good at getting things into long term memory - check if she knows how she is doing this. I used to learn thing - really get them into long term memory, while the teacher was talking about them, as long as they had a tiny bit of abstract thinking content. And my processing speed is fast - so I could get stuff into long term memory almost in real time.

I'll bet DD8 would explain how she knows when the specials are by referencing some 'odd' coinsedence - such as 'Musical scales have 8 notes and Music is 8th period - how could I forget that?!?' or 'Art starts with the first letter of the alphabet, and it happens 1st period - that's easy!' Humor is a great way to shortcut into long term memory - remember the time.... (you get the picture)

As for chapter books being boring that worries me, and I don't think that saying 'it's concentration issue' is enough.

What - exactly - is she having trouble concentrating on?
    Would she do better if she made a list of character names, and a few handle traits to remember them by?
    Or draw a picture of the most dramatic scene in the chapter,
    Or draw a family tree of the characters - and make up some kind of social 'family' tree to diagram the friendships
    Or some kind of graphic organizer with what are the possible themes and big picture ideas the the author was trying to communicate about and place cartoons of moments that are evidence for various hypothesis?
    Make clay characters of the books and simple sets, and move them from scene to scene.
    Or somehow try and get into the head of the writers - maybe by reading several books by the same writer and seeing what big ideas or little ticks always come up? Roald Dahl and Orson Scott Card come to mind...

If she tries any of these techniques the idea is to review her notes just before she sits down to read, and then add to her project after every chapter. Writers try to end chapters in an emotionally exciting point - because they know that there is always the chance that folks will just close the book and never finish.

Maybe your daughter isn't reading books that are advance enough to be interesting to her brain because her reading skills are lower then her enjoying skills? How does she feel about audio books? I love it when my family has occasion to be trapped in the car together all enjoying an audio book for hours and hours.

Or maybe she was just pulling her brother's chain? Go EQ if that, huh?

Smiles,
    Grinity

L
    L
    Grinity, you are *awesome*! You always have such great, thoughtful responses. I think my favorite is the clay figures of the characters. My weekend is taking shape!

BTW, after her brother fussed at her about reading chapter books, she checked one out of the school library and tore right through it. She and I had a discussion about being proud of your achievements.

After reading this section last week, I am planning to go ahead and get her tested. I have had her on a tincture for attention support but am actually *gasp* thinking of going the prescription route. Haven't I read it really helped your son?

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by LinCO
    Haven't I read it really helped your son?
    My son feels so much more 'himself' on the stimulent medication. I waited until he was 12 and verbally insistant before I could bear for him to try it. I sure wasn't willing to do it to make him better behaved in the classrooms that weren't accomidating his strengths.

And it's no fun in the begining while trying all the different versions and strengths. But he's doing so well nowadays, and so happy and so hardworking...it could be coincidence, or the Nurtured Heart Approach parenting I started to practice, but it sure could be the medication.

Anyway - glad to hear that her brother's 'uncareful' words inspired some healthy competition. Sibling are such a great resource!

Grinity

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM