Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    Last year, DS11 has had a teacher say his placement was fine, when I knew it was not. After my advocacy, he was promoted a grade in that subject. The new teacher could see his exceptional ability. Other teachers in different subjects can see his ability. I'm just wondering why a teacher doesn't see this? What is the difference in teacher's like this?

He has this teacher again this year. It's early but he is feeling underchallenged again. He feels like he is not getting anywhere in math.

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/11/11 08:12 AM.
    Originally Posted by onthegomom
    He has this teacher again this year. It's early but he is feeling underchallenged again. He feels like he is not getting anywhere in math.
    Is it the teacher he left of the recieving teacher?

I would see your role as 'canary in the coal mine' and set up a meeting with the teacher to ask how it looks from her perspective, state his side politely, and see if she has any ideas.

PGlets just make giant leaps sometimes. It just happens.

((pout))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    He has the teacher he left again, she is the one who didn't see his ability.

For four years he has felt held back in Math as the pace is too slow. He is in a gifted school but he is talented in Math. How can I state what he said politely? We are going into 3rd week of school. Is this too soon?

Friday, DS said he learned more Math from his classmate than the teacher in two weeks.

He score 50% on his placement test for this year and I believe he could do the Math twice as fast as most students. So that could mean he will do 1 semester of work over the course of a year. But I can't really state this for a fact. GT coordinator told me last year wait and see what happens. It's a whole new Math - Singapore. But then he got this teacher and made this comment and I feel doubtful this will be right for him.

This is what I think would be better. Give the kid an assessment test and then have someone fill in the wholes for him at study hall since he doesn't much study any way and does his homework really fast. Then move him up a grade in Math.

The fact that the kid sitting next to him is showing him Math tricks is encouraging. Might be a math peer.

I'm still cringing at the thought of saying he has Math talent and that he can go twice as fast. I don't know how else to get them to see my point. I think he holds back at school and is still recovering from effects from his prior school.

I felt like I shouldn't say much this year. I thought I would focus more on him showing the teacher's what he can do like he cares, instead of rushing to get his work done. But this is really bothering him.

I don't think it's too soon.
    Maybe he and his friend would benefit from curriculum compacting?
    Your plan is better, but a harder sell - start there and have a few 'ok' options in mind.

I wonder how he would have done on a Math placement for the year above - maybe 50% also - there is so much repetition in Math.

If the rest of the school is a good fit, you may just have to do Math privately. Some schools will let you hire a tutor to work individually on school grounds during Math time.

Sign him up for the SAT ASAP, that might make an impression with the school, and at least he can do 'big math' with peers at CTY summer camp during the summer.

See if having your family consultant talk to the GC to explain 'how these kids can be' is the best way to get the rate answer addressed.

Least-worst!
    Peace,
    Grinity

F
    F
    I think sometimes teachers can not see talent because of some of their own baggage, either with their own hopes for their kids, or their own experience as kids. Sometimes, if the teacher who can see the talent is willing to state that in front of the teacher that can not see it... it puts pressure on the teacher to be a bit more open minded. I agree with Grinity, the SAT scores often talk pretty loud. Good luck and I do not think it is to early. I have kicked myself for not being early enough at times when the changing is as the classes are not entrenched and moved to far ahead etc.

O
    OP Offline
    O
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    I don't think it's too soon.
    Maybe he and his friend would benefit from curriculum compacting?
    Your plan is better, but a harder sell - start there and have a few 'ok' options in mind.

I would love for him to be in a situation where he is not held back and has peers. A tudor could be awesome, especially if he had a buddy or two.

O
    OP Offline
    O
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    I wonder how he would have done on a Math placement for the year above - maybe 50% also - there is so much repetition in Math.

Sign him up for the SAT ASAP, that might make an impression with the school, and at least he can do 'big math' with peers at CTY summer camp during the summer.
    Least-worst!Peace,Grinity

Yes, I wonder too about testing next grade up. I get it but I think they might think me strange to ask.

SAT?? do you mean EXPLORE? He is in 5th grade, excepts 6th for math and science.

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/11/11 12:25 PM.
    B
    B
    How does it happen?

Well, let's see. Teachers often mistake motivation for talent, and the lack of motivation for lack of talent. The abilities of certain personality types (e.g. "FP"s) are more likely to be noticed. Teacher may not be giving students any material aimed beyond grade level for work or assessment. Teacher may have personal experience of other gifted students and may be thinking "This student is not like those students." Student could be "punishing" a teacher he or she does not like by turning in substandard work.

There are many ways it could happen.

C
    C
    SAT?? do you mean EXPLORE? He is in 5th grade, excepts 6th for math and science.
    She might mean the SAT - have you or he had a look at the practice maths questions on the web? Few of them require more than basic numeracy.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    I'm thinking he will take the EXPLORE again this year. The school provided this last year for 5th. DS11 did very well on this in 3rd, he qualified a year ahead for DYS. When I presented the EXPLORE scores, school did nothing with them but, if he tests with his classmates he should get noticed. This was the first year the school did the EXPLORE.

DS didn't want to take EXPLORE last year. I don't think he will want to take SAT. I think he will be interested in taking the EXPLORE because his classmates will be there.

Should I try for the SAT because it will have more value?

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/11/11 03:49 PM.
    Definitely do EXPLORE if it's availible in your area, but do SAT or ACT as well. If he can even do 'average' for a high school junior - which he probably can do this year or next year - it will make eyes pop, and open doors for summer programs......
    It's totally 'normal' - because of summer camps for 12 year olds to do SAT or ACT. 11 is a little young, but very fun and great preparation for age 12. My son said it's like 'being inside a real-life video game.' (Can you tell I was worried and looking for reassurance from him - something I really try not to do?)

speaking of summer programs - take a look at http://www.mathpath.org/ it's for kids aged 11-14.

I like the idea of getting the open-minded teacher to say nice things in front of the closed minded teacher. Sometimes you can ask if last years teacher can attend the meeting with this year's teacher. You may even be able to get your family consultant to attend the meeting over speaker phone.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

O
    OP Offline
    O
    I don't think this "Non-seeing" teacher is close minded. She is the one who reccomended the Singapore Math. This sorta goes back to my orginal question. Could it be teacher doesn't notice who is done early or who understands easliy? Is he just not showing her? I would not be surprized if she doesn't know what PG means to DS with Math.

O
    OP Offline
    O
    Today, he came home with his Math and said it was hard. He also feels like he is really challenged in another subject. I'm feeling strange now. It seems like I should just leave everything as it is for now.

I think I'll just talk with teacher and see if ability info was passed along to her and if their are any pacing/pretesting options. I'll just ask her to please watch out for him because he loves Math when he is learning.

That sounds like a good plan.

O
    OP Offline
    O
    Thank you. I get a bit stressed. It's helpful having support.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM