Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    LMom #10990 03/09/08 07:17 PM
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by LMom
    One of the most important gt/school lessons I learned this is year is One year at a time and even that could probably read a few months at a time.

I totally agree, LMom. I am really thinking in 6 month periods of time with DS7. It's really hard to speculate or plan beyond that. That has definitely been my biggest lesson the past year as well.

kimck #10991 03/09/08 07:19 PM
    Ditto. I'm still not 100% sure what we're doing next fall! If we figure it out before the fall, we'll be doing fairly well, I think...

Kriston
    Wren #10995 03/09/08 07:33 PM
    Ren,
    I would never say that kids in X range need the most help. So much depends on location, personality, and temperment. But yeah, Advocating for my 'invisiable' Level III has been a real ... growing experience.

The key piece of advice that I didn't have, was to keep feeding whatever 'burn to learn' your child shows, and to gently introduce topics you think your child might enjoy. I didn't want to insist that my kid work at home on "Mom Homework" because I didn't want to be a 'HotHouser' or percieved as one. Plus I was still in heavy gifted denial at that time.

Anyway, a book you may find useful for your afterschooling is
    by Amy Burke and Nathan Levy, called "Not Just Schoolwork." I'm a 'non-linear' myself, and I remember getting ahold of one of Levy's books as a tween and thinking that finally I'm home!

At your daughter's stage, you will possibly have to translate, but that book could keep you both happily occupied for quite a while.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Kriston #10996 03/09/08 07:33 PM
    K
    K
    Ha! I can totally relate. People keep ask what we're going to do next year and I'm thinking "You are so not living in the same reality as I am". We could decide to homeschool, pick a bunch of materials, and by summer they may be useless. We could pursue our GT magnet, and by fall, it may not be enough for 2nd grade, let alone beyond that. If we decide by fall what our plan is, we'll be happy!

Current plan - continue hothousing in Math so the kid learns a tiny SOMETHING this year. smile Although, what he's really learning is how to show work. Which I guess is important too for the long haul.

kimck #10997 03/09/08 07:38 PM
    Originally Posted by kimck
    People keep ask what we're going to do next year and I'm thinking "You are so not living in the same reality as I am".

LMAO! This is a brilliant quote! I may use it, kimck! It's so right on target.

You're in a totally different reality, dude. Totally! grin

Kriston
    kimck #10999 03/09/08 08:20 PM
    People keep ask what we're going to do next year and I'm thinking "You are so not living in the same reality as I am".

Last year when I signed up DS5 for Montessori K-6, people kept asking me where I would put him after that. Gee. They could have as well asked me which college he would attend.

We could decide to homeschool, pick a bunch of materials, and by summer they may be useless.

I did this so many times, not the homeschooling part, but buying things which lasted only a few weeks and then he moved onto more difficult concepts/reading. As a matter of fact I just ordered beautiful magnetic charts which compare fractions, percentile and decimals. It hasn't come yet. Today it turned out that DS5 already understands most of it. I think it will still last a few weeks though. It does look nice, may be I could spend a few hours looking at it to get my money worth. Good that he has a younger brother, at least he will get to use it, when the time comes.

Last May I got a few things in a learning store. The cashier made a comment that it would keep us busy for the whole summer. Yeah, right. I didn't want to tell her that a few weeks tops.

LMom
    LMom #11000 03/09/08 08:28 PM
    At a visit to the GT school that we may (or may not...) send DS6 to part-time next year, the head of the school started talking to me about how if we were HSing part-time through high school, it's against the rules for DS6 to get a high school diploma; he has to be enrolled full-time.

I looked at her like she had 3 heads and said, "He's 6. Could we figure out what we're doing for second grade before we start worrying about high school transcripts?"

crazy

*sigh*

One day at a time, right friends?

Kriston
    Kriston #11012 03/10/08 07:22 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Thanks for the book suggestion Grinity.

I posted under Ruf's book topic on some of the questions Kriston asked.

Different styles.

Ren

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM