Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 183 guests, and 109 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    I also wonder how many of the kids who don't prefer older company are 2E, particularly if the other E is ADHD/ADD?

I wouldn't say our PG DS9 is uncomfortable with older kids, but when he is in a large group of them, the dynamics def. change.

First, he is an extrovert and plays well with kids both several years younger and several years older (although often with younger ones, he is being a good host, or humoring them). He is very "fair" and gets very upset when he sees mean behavior or injustice.

With his own age friends, I think he very much takes the lead and sets the tone. In his "areas" (i.e. academics, legos, robotics, etc) he is so confident I think they defer to him (sometimes too much IMO). If it is about sports or some computer games, they will not defer as much.

In a group of older kids he discovers that his "authority" (for lack of a better word) decreases. Where he is used to being in the thick of it, he may be marginalized more (he also is not very into pop culture, etc. and it becomes more important in middle school, so that starts to become obvious). Thus, he may start to feel like he doesn't interact as much with the older kids when he is in a larger group. I remind him that if he is polite, kind to others and makes an effort to be a friend he will have plenty of friends and that usually does happen, although he has gone to camps where it took a couple days, and had a smaller group of friends.

Finally, if the camp is for 7-9 year olds (and he is nearly 7), there must be some kids there who are within six months of his age and who wouldn't exclude him. Have you spoken with the camp director or counselor about this? Also, inclusive behavior is a good thing to teach regardless of age, and they should be making sure it happens at camp.

And no matter what, they should make sure all kids have an equal opportunity to do experiments and participate in camp - that is what you are paying for.

Good luck, Cat

Last edited by Catalana; 08/10/11 08:27 AM.
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    I also wonder how many of the kids who don't prefer older company are 2E, particularly if the other E is ADHD/ADD?
    Mine would fit in that category and I think that what the pp mentioned about lacking authority with older kids comes into play for her as well. She feels more like the follower with older kids than the leader and she doesn't like that role as much.

W
    OP Offline
    W
    My DS is 2E and I think I am still coming to terms in understanding its effects. Is it Sensory Processing, sensory seeking and underresponsive or ADHD, I still not sure. For now started with OT to see how it goes.

But today was a bad day. I had to take DS out of science camp, the environment with the slightly older kids brought too much pent up frustration and he started acting out today badly. So for 2 more days of camp I can't see how the situation can be made better in such a short time period.

Further ramifications are that now I know he will not be able to hand a grade skip well enough socially to continue to pursue it at the school, but at the same time there will not be a lot to challenge him in 1st grade. I am so upset as to how difficult it is to find an environment where he can be supported academically and socially. I feel completely at a loss as to what to do for him. I guess this is the beginning of my realization how 2E complicates everything so much more.

U
    U
    I wonder if for an extroverted kid, who likes to lead play and be in the thick of things, older kids just aren't as satisfying? They're possibly already getting to play their own choice of games, they're able to be take control of the kinds of interactions they are having etc.

Mine is an extrovert, so maybe this has something to it.

The funny thing is that DD can also be a "pet" of older kids in some situations. I think she likes them a lot individually but doesn't like to be completely lost in a sea of them, as some of the stuff others talked about (older kids grouping up) happens then.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM