Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 342 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #108733 08/05/11 04:13 PM
    S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Most people on here alredy know their kids IQ scores and have advanced them lots of grade levels and such. I think there are a lot of people who KNOW we've got advanced kids, but are just starting our jouney into learning to help them. I wonder if I could start this thread with a question. People from all over can "vote" or chime in with there opinions. I'm not a teacher, I only have two kids and irl I would never ask someone "do you think other children are doing this at 5?" Or whatevter. I'm betting there are a lot of people wondering this type of thing. Heck, maybe there could be a App for that! lol...Maybe this isn't the place to ask either. If so, just let me know.

BUT...Here is my question/story.

I have 2 Daughters...DD9 and DD5.9...
    DD9 is way ahead in everything and I'm sure that she is in the gifted range. I have lots of questions about her...but my question is about DD5.9..
    She just finished Kindergarten. She reads anything at a second grade level. Teacher says she decodes much higher, but she stops comprehending at 2.0 for DRA test. (I think she gets nervous reading outloud.) She took a "deep dive" into Junie B. Jones this year, reading each book at least 3 times...all 27 of them.

She has enjoyed Magic Treehouse as well. I read to her Chronicles of Narnia...first 3 books and she made REALLY deep connections..(but please tell me if they are normal/not advanced)

If you know the story - The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, you know that Edmond strays and becomes a servant of the witch. When Aslan is killed, DD5 stopped me to tell me that Aslan was being killed so that Edmond didn't have to be killed for what he did. And she told me how the rock broke and now the rule didn't exist anymore. The rule that said if you betrayed Aslan, then the witch was allowed to kill you. I thought her comprehension for the story was amazing!

So, I'm asking these questions, because in school she seems quite "normal." She has serious anxiety with writing. She writes many letters backwards and knows that she does it. They aren't mistakes, she really doesn't know which they go.

And it's not just with writing. If there is no context around a word with a b or a d...and sometimes w and m...she cannot read it. She does well if the word is obvious and HAS to be b or d...but if it is a word she has to sound out, she cannot, until she knows which letter it is. (She knew her letters and numbers 1-10 before 2.) She wrote the word star today S-O-T-R.

How can a child who reads so well, no be able write a 4 letter word? Her pencil grip is bad too.

She has always aked VERY deep questions. (I think they are deep) Like...at 3..."Mommy, how does this mall stay up?" At 5 "Why doesn't the toilet water go down the toilet hole unless you flush it?"

"Why is it bad to litter? I know it is ugly? But why is it bad for the earth? It is bad for US if it is ugly, not for the earth?" Then I read her (she read to me) a turtle book, where the turtle eats a plastic bag and has to be nursed back to health and she cried.

When she was 2, she asked why she couldn't eat the peanut shells. I told her because they have chemicles on them to kill bugs that would eat the peanuts. Later I found peanuts on all the window sills of our 1780c house...When I asked her why she did that she said..."The peanut shells will kill all the spiders and they wont come in our house anymore."

The other day as I was bringing her to the outhouse at the lake, "Mommy? How is stuff made? Like...where do the people who make the stuff get the material to make the stuff?"

Me: "Like what stuff?"
    Her: Like, for example, bikes. How do the bike making people get the material to make the biks?"

She WILL not throw out plastic. If we eat out, she will and often does, ask the staff if they recycle. If the answer is no, she brings the plastic home to recycle. ugh. She actually had a restaraunt applaud her on her way out. lol.

So, yesterday, I was going over some adding with her at dinner. All her numbers a backwards and gets 9's and 6's messed up. She did not seem even close to advances in math, so I used plastic forks.

I asked showed her 4 forks and added another group of 4 forks and asked her how many there were. I made different groups with the forks to show her that they all were the same as 8. Eventually, I had 4 groups of 2! Then 3 groups of 2...then 2 groups of 2...

SHE said - yelling - "OH! I get it! If you have a number and you make them all in groups of 2, you get half of the number!"

She didn't say it so nicely, but I had her (to her frustration) tell me again and again so I could be sure she was understanding what she undtertood!.

So, I praised her and that was that.

Well, my dd9 is trying to memorize her times table in the car. DD5.9 wants in...So, I give her a hard one. (I had a hard day and just wanted to stump her right off.) She worked for about 15 minutes on that one...telling everyone to be quiet so she could think...and came up with 21. Is that advanced?

So those are my questions. I have no money for IQ tests, schools around here don't do anything for kids who are ahead...they group test them in 4th grade and let you know if you made "gifted" and then sometimes they let you M.C. the Veteran's Day Ceramone...That's it.

My concern is that she may actually have a LD...No one in my family or my husband's family has ever me DX'd with one. I am not familiar with them...But if she is gifted, maybe she is compenstating. I did have her in OT for her writing and (per vision therarpist) inability to cross the midline...but they kicked her out...claiming that she read too well to have anything worth pulling her out of class for. I did express to them that I believed she might be able to hide her disability. At the end of the K year, the teacher began to worry about her backwards letters.

Any ideas? Btw...She is a super sweet girl. Socialized very well with children that she likes, but doesn't really like a lot of children. She is very emotional. She gets very upset and blames the whole world when she drops her icecream. (Sensory issues...she doesn't like to get it on her hand, so she holds it with two fingers.) She says..."Mommy you made it happen in your button!"

S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    lol...ha ha...I think I know where she gets the writing problem from! Sorry about all the problems...but I must tell you that the question I gave her in the car was....7x3! There maybe my post makes sense now?

S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I did copy this into Word and nothing underlined red! So I didn't read it! That was stupid! Now I'm reading it and it hardly makes sense! Sorry.

S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    AND by the way. I don't get easily offended. Please tell me how it is.

S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I should add (so sorry..) that I bought her a first/second grade math workbook for the summer. It was Singapore Math. I thought it would be good because it only had one problem on each page.

She could answer the problem. Tom had 11 pens, sally had 6 fewer pens than Tom. How many pens did Sally have. But she could write the equation. Nor could she decide if it was subtraction of addition. Should I be concerned about dysgraphia, something I have read about on these forums, or is she still too young to be concerned about that? I can't imagine having the wonderful, curious, interested in everything kind of mind that she has and not being able to do school work because her brain has some sort of problem.!

U
    U
    Letter and number reversal is still really normal at this age. My precocious reader and writer was still reversing 6/9 and b/d occasionally at the end of K and beginning of first. Every once in a while she would read a b/d word wrong, too.

I don't know about the spelling. I don't think I have a grasp of what is age-appropriate there.

She sounds really neat and potentially gifted to me, but also like an interesting puzzle.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets