Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    So I mentioned that DS has been acting out the last ten days. I forgot - aren't we supposed to be calling it 'positive coping behavior?' Of course my first thought is that this is his first vacation since December, and he just completed 3 major projects and the school play with rehearsals to 5 pm the week before, so he's probably worn out.

Over the year I have had my doubts about if the school is really providing 'enough' intellectual stimulation, as his observed homework time was quite low, and his GPA is 85. But now that I see all these 'major projects' coming together, I feel that he is getting his time's worth as far as intellectual challenge beyond the organizational challenge.

Since October, I've been hearing comments like, "I'm just a regular kid, keep your learning ideas away from me." and "All you think about is Gifted!" So I've been extra sure to back off with the Afterschooling ideas. At dinner, DH was talking about a Lego Leauge club at the public school and asked if DS's school had one.

"Yes, It's called the Social Suicide Club." was the sarcastic reply.

So I told myself that I can't have my cake and eat it too. I want him to integrate socially in his new grade and school, so if that's how the other kids see it, then it's a good step that he's mimicing them. Of course it broke my heart to think that that was his surroundings. (Next year we're trying a different school.)

Anyway, lately DS has been begging to afterschool, and complimenting my tutoring skills, even as he's needing consequences for his behavior left and right. He has pretty much given up on forming more than ok-aquaintainces at his current school, which is so sad for him. But I'm having so much fun learning with him again!

So what I'm getting around to is: When your children go through an Intellectual Growth Spurt, is that also sometimes accompianied with 'falling down' unacceptable behavior during the same general time period?

Thanks,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I am glad your DS enjoys learning again! It's fun to learn new things with them

Originally Posted by Grinity
    So what I'm getting around to is: When your children go through an Intellectual Growth Spurt, is that also sometimes accompianied with 'falling down' unacceptable behavior during the same general time period?

It actually works the other way around here. Intellectual Growth Spurt is very peaceful period here. If his brain is busy all is well. We run into problems in between. If he is not interested in anything, kind of in between his obsessions he uses his brain power to drive me nuts.

That said all is well at home, but all of the sudden we have problems at playdates. He was always so reliable when it came to playdates, but lately he has been quite a pain, bothering others, not listening, pushing the limits. It makes me wonder if it's just a stage or him needing gt playmates.

LMom
    I have noticed "behavior" for a couple of weeks just prior to developmental spurts. Once the new abilities are manifest, all is calm again smile

We're having a lot of attitude right now, but I haven't noticed a growth spurt--physical or intellectual--yet. Maybe it's on the way and then he'll straighten up and fly right?

Please! Oh, please! frown

Kriston
    acs Offline
    Oh, Grinity, your DS is on the verge of the growth spurt to end all growth spurts! But things should be better by about 2114!

Originally Posted by acs
    Oh, Grinity, your DS is on the verge of the growth spurt to end all growth spurts! But things should be better by about 2114!

I agree 100% with this one! And this is where dads show their importance. It sounds like you're handling things well if he's asking for more afterschooling.

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks ((smile))
    I hope we have a few more calm patches between now and 2114. ((eyes rolling))
    LMOM - yeah, once he gets 'into' something then he is much easier to handle, but this seems to be a more global spurt - where he's much more open to everything than usual. I hope your can dig up some GT playmates for your son to see if that makes a difference.

DH has been stepping up to the plate nicely - as it's clear we are going to have an 'alpha-male' in our home, we adults just get to choose 'which person' is going to be playing that role.

Grins -
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM