Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    N
    N
    Not a guilty pleasure, a real pleasure. (Guilty pleasures are like the harem anime I watch...) I'm still saving Enchanted Glass for sometime special, since its almost the last DWJ and after the last one comes out there won't be any new ones.

The Blue Sword was like nothing I'd ever read before. Absolutely mind-blowing to me... that a magic book could be set in another world that was so like but unlike the one we're living in. Narnia, Wonderland, etc. were very different from that experience because they were so like fables and things of our world. I wish everybody could have my fourth grade teacher-- I doubt Robin McKinley is on the reading lists most places. It's all Bridge to Teribithia and other horrid stuff (of course, we read that too). I didn't realize until rereading Hero and the Crown many years later that there was a reason we didn't read that one in class too-- the sex totally went over my head at age 10. The Blue Sword made me realize I could go upstairs to the adult fantasy section to get things to read-- a whole new world!

Just turned 11 DS recently read and really enjoyed Leviathan. He's now reading the sequel, Behemoth. They are of a genre referred to as "steampunk".

Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door.
    S
    S
    Hi, Thought I'd chime in...
    DS8 really likes these-

Two Miserable Presidents- by Steve Sheinkin
    The Narnia Series
    The Harry Potter Series
    Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
    Russell Stannard's "Uncle Albert" series
    The two "Cosmic George" books
    Theodore Gray's "The Elements"
    The Phantom Tollbooth
    Johnny Tremain
    The Percy Jackson series
    Robert Heinlein's "Juvenile" series
    "Her Magesty's Wizard"- Christopher Stascheff
    anything by Roald Dahl
    Inkheart
    Why Pi?
    any of the "Worst Case Scenario" books
    any of the "Basher" books
    any "Calvin and Hobbes"
    Pullman's "His Dark Material's" series
    and is as we speak devouring Larry Gonick's "Cartoon Guide to..." series. (Haven't done the History of the Universe yet because I'm afraid the reasons for all of the wars might be a little much for him)
    *and since he's a boy at "that age" there is virtually no kissing in these books ("M-o-O-O-O-o-M!" he says as he hides his face in his hands!)

Love this thread! There's a lot of new stuff (to us) posted here, Thanks! We're always on the hunt for something new...

O
    O
    I just looked at CTY reading class for some new books for DS10 to try. I thought they looked good.

The potato chip puzzles / Eric Berlin.
    Puzzling world of Winston Breen
    The Thief Lord / Cornelia Funke

M
    M
    DD10 recently discovered my childhood stash of Encyclopedia Brown books, which are fun, easy reads. Because of her summer schedule, she doesn't have much down time to read, so these are perfect. She can read a case or two before bed or in the car on the way to practice.

OP Offline
    Since the last movie is coming out, Ds-now-11 has decided to pick back up the Harry Potter books, he only got through the 5th one in 3rd grade, I think they got a bit more daunting on several levels at that point. He started back at the beginning and is having a hoot re-reading.

Also, we just got him a puppy, and his name is ...Harry.

So glad to have found this thread! My DS10 is a reluctant reader, though good at reading. He's not into the science fiction/fantasy stuff that his older brother was. Too sensitive for a lot of the stuff, although that seems to be resolving as he matures. But no interest in the Harry Potter series, Wrinkle In Time, Ender series and so on that so many of the kids here enjoy.

His favorites are humor books and he often returns to the Wimpy Kid series! He's enjoying the Aldo Zelnick comic series (Artsy-Fartsy, Bogus, Cahoots) and Bone graphic novels right now. He recently read the first in the Pseudonymous Bosch series and this list was a good reminder. One he really liked was The True Meaning of Smekday - he often laughed out loud while reading that one.

Anyone have other suggestions for humorous books?

B
    B
    May I recommend _The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian_ (warning: discussion of masturbation, bullying, social ostracism, and death) by Sherman Alexie

and _The Diamond in the Window_ by Jane Langton

M
    M
    Originally Posted by doodlebug
    So glad to have found this thread! [....]

Anyone have other suggestions for humorous books?

Hi, Debbie,

I'm slow getting back to this thread, but had a couple of ideas for books your son might enjoy:

-Noel Langley, "The Land of Green Ginger." (strictly farce, very funny, a little dated, but that's the way we like 'em!)

-John Fardell, "The Seven Professors of the Far North," "The Flight of the Silver Turtle," and "Secret of the Black Moon Moth." (gee-whiz adventure stories, gifted kid protagonists with eccentric professor sidekicks battle against a series of crazy maniacs who want to take over the world [sort of James Bond for little kids], some serious issues considered [ecology, cloning, etc.] but not in the deep way evidenced in the books you say he's not interested in yet)

-John D. Fitzgerald, Great Brain series (now, I remember loving these when I was a kid, but have to admit that I was a bit startled by a few things on rereading them as an adult, not least the disciplinary measures used by the father of the family--I still think they're funny, but maybe best to preread?)

-for some reason, none of my boys can get enough of "Tubby and Little Lulu" (I know that sounds weird...but they're all back in print, so somebody besides me must be buying them!)--they tell me that sometimes they just want to read something "dumb and funny," so there we go.

-Norman Hunter, Professor Branestawm series (mad inventor invents really crazy stuff, gets in various scrapes; there are lots of volumes of these, mostly out of print, but we have found picking up several of them not too hard--they're short stories, so maybe good for a somewhat reluctant reader, since there is fairly quick payoff?).

-he might be too old for these, but I wonder if he'd like Christianna Brand's "Collected Tales of Nurse Matilda?" All of my three thought these were hilarious (though I'm thinking they're an acquired taste for adults!).

-kcab put us onto Cressida Cowell's "How to Train a Dragon" books--those are nice, light and fun reads--perfect for summer. In that same vein are Kjartan Poskitt's Urgum the Axeman books (not really calculated to instill a love of great literature, but good for lying in the hammock with a glass of lemonade and a gingersnap).

Hope some of those might appeal!

peace
    minnie

S
    S
    My sons have really enjoyed the Warriors series by Erin Hunter and they weren't always interested in reading. It was exciting to see them going back for the next books in the series and following the saga.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM