Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #108042 07/29/11 07:24 AM
    OP Offline
    Just curious. I do not know a great deal about the educational systems in other countries.

For anyone with experience and knowledge with other countries where do you think gifted kids have the best environment for their needs.

B
    B
    Well, I used to live in a small town in Taiwan. There is a high value placed on education in that culture. Children know that the best thing they can do to please their parents is to study hard, do well on exams, and that way become a professor or government official. Kids do not even get chores, because studying is the number one way to be a good kid.

I visited the Confucius temple in Beijing once, and it was inspiring to see the stone stelae in the courtyard engraved with the names of those who had passed the competitive exams to become magistrates throughout the dynasties.

I do miss students bringing me flowers on Confucius's birthday. I do not really miss parents telling me I could beat their children if they are bad. I asked a junior high student how his day at school had been once, and he said, "Pretty good, nobody hit me."

But the academic culture in Taiwan does not really encourage creative thinking or dissent. Students are discouraged from asking many questions or making comments. Rote memorization and imitating the model of the teacher is big. Cheating is tolerated, to a surprising extent.

So, no. I would not nominate Taiwan as the best environment for gifted kids.

M
    M
    I have been involved in educational research for some years now and am familiar with at least twenty educational systems. And although the educational systems vary a lot, I feel comfortable saying that socioeconomic status of parents as well as their education level (especially mother�s) have substantial influence on educational opportunities and outcomes of their children. I believe this to be true for gifted students as well. Of course it may seem that countries where gifted education is supported by the system, gifted children would have better opportunities, however, in most cases the access to gifted programs and/or better schools is provided based on achievement test scores. In Asian countries this means that parents spend a lot of money on tutors, and children are spending enormous amount of time preparing for these tests.

To answer your question, I would say Finland has the best home and school environment for gifted. Majority of parents are well educated, plus income inequality there is lower than in many other countries. Although its school system does not have gifted programs in place, it does have overall high education standards. Gifted children from different backgrounds(including ethnic minorities and immigrants) have more equal opportunities in the school system. In addition, their schools and teachers have freedom to adjust their curriculum to meet individual student needs. Actually it is an expectation not just a freedom to do so.

Last edited by MagnaSky; 07/30/11 02:58 AM.
    K
    K
    Recently I came across this BBC item about Finnish education. It is not specifically about gifted education, but the Education Minister mentions a pilot programme for gifted students. It's pretty exciting that they acknowledge the need for one.

Unfortunately, New Zealand is not the best country for the gifted. There are some excellent initiatives and individual schools that do well, but, in general, teachers are not well informed and academic achievement is not valued as much as it is in other countries that I'm familiar with. Sporting achievement is another matter. There is plenty of support for that.

Last edited by kiwi; 07/30/11 01:21 PM. Reason: typo
    B
    B
    Yes, the US doesn't hold their gifted athletes back to the level of their same-age peers, either.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM