Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 92 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Nautigal #106725 07/10/11 06:27 PM
    F
    F
    My vote would be to do with the size of book and the little hands that are going to hold it. Will it be available in paperback to start or only hard cover? How long in hard cover until available in soft cover? I agree that throwing HP in a backpack was difficult. Also for sneaking through at school the smaller books passed easier than did the bigger/thicker books. (I use to sneak books into my kiddos class in her backpack to read after she had finished the work or it was individual reading time.)

DeHe #106798 07/11/11 07:11 PM
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    Originally Posted by DeHe
    To my mind this conundrum is like the magic school bus books, they look like picture books but easily translated into chapter books because the story was so complicated. You could separate your story in to several books and my DS would love it, he likes to read more about "his" characters but if you have to thin out the story it wouldn't be as much fun. If separating into books allows you to make each mini quest more rich then that would be great. Alternatively, is there a sequel to the story you have now. If its truly finished then it makes sense to spilt it up, if you can see going on, then leave it as one. IMHO of course!!!

DeHe

Well, that's a conundrum of a different sort -- technically, it is probably too late to get it into publication (even if it were finished right this second) due to the time-sensitive nature of the need to save the world from this particular threat. It doesn't hurt to say that the problem they are solving has to do with the Mayan prophecies. But if kids wouldn't mind that it was already past, I'm still ok. laugh

That said, assuming I could get one book out before the end of the world, so to speak, it would be impossible to get them all out by then if it were split into a series.

It's hard to imagine what you could do for an encore after saving the planet, but then again, the Benedict kids managed to do it again, I believe (I have only read half of the second one, so I'm not sure). And Harry Potter kept doing it again and again, although it was all part of one big thing. And comic book heroes do it every issue. So I'm sure that there would be other quests that my kiddos could be roped into -- and there's a NaNoWriMo every year. smile

Nautigal #106804 07/11/11 07:30 PM
    A
    A
    If you can get in shape to go, you could self-publish on Kindle through Amazon, and in softcover POD through Lightning Source in plenty of time.

aculady #107539 07/21/11 02:43 PM
    G
    G
    Hi Everyone-

I've been peeping in on the Davidson discussion boards for years now while raising my now 10-year-old, but this is the first time I felt compelled to register and post.

Nautigal, I agree with the other posters, shorter is less intimidating for many younger ones. My daughter cruised through the MT series at 5 partly because of the sense of accomplishment she got from "finishing a book." (And flower -you made me laugh about small books being easier for sneaky-reading. My daughter still gets in trouble for reading at school. Gosh, that sounds odd, but it's true.)

But you're the writer, so it's up to you.

As far as self-publishing goes, I just listed a book on Kindle -written for the same reasons as you - just to provide fun reading for young advanced readers. But now that it's up there, I have realized that while a lot of teens buy ebooks, and moms load up picture ebooks for the younger crowd, the 8-12 crowd still relies primarily on librarians to help them find new books. (Or just going to the library and cruising the shelves.) So at least for the near-future, it might be better to aim for the traditional publishing route. That's what I plan to do now.

Nautigal #107711 07/24/11 12:28 PM
    U
    U
    I also had an early reader whose abilities were quite high but who was intimidated by "fat" books. She would read books that were quite hard if they "fooled" her by having pictures and being thin and light. Hey, that's one thing. Pictures! You want pictures for this crowd, IMO.

[quote=ultramarina Hey, that's one thing. Pictures! You want pictures for this crowd, IMO. [/quote]

Yes I think pictures are a must! When their reading that young they still want to see what the characters and the setting of the story looks like.

As far as the thickness on the book, I'm mixed on that because I have two different type of readers.

with dd8 she was reading 200 page chapter books at 4 by herself, now she reads whatever interests her and that could be a 400 page book or a very simple 50 page book, The only question is does it interest her. With her she never read the MT books , no interest

with dd6 she likes the smaller chapter books, she loves reading the MT books

Hope that helps, good luck with your book!

Originally Posted by Skylersmommy
    Originally Posted by ultramarina Hey, that's one thing. Pictures! You want pictures for this crowd, IMO.

[/quote
    Yes I think pictures are a must! When their reading that young they still want to see what the characters and the setting of the story looks like.[quote]

Yes I think pictures are a must! When their reading that young they still want to see what the characters and the setting of the story looks like.!

I totally agree. DS 5 loves seeing things, particularly the equipment, outfits, anything that makes the story distinctive but not in a picture book way. It's also what DS likes in his nonfiction, he can absorb really complicated stuff when it comes with pictured. He especially likes really crowded pictures, sort of like where's Waldo or blueprints, apparently this is usual though, according to my school librarian friend.

DeHe

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...