Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Kriston, I just read your PM, thank you! I'm going to respond to you in a little bit.

OHGrandma, that is one of my worries. In our state, the law says that if we homeschool, we submit nothing until the school year in which our child turns 8yo during the first 2 weeks of the academic school year. With a late fall birthday, that puts us into 2008-2009SY for filing our first set of paperwork. The affadavit goes into the district at the start of the year.

We don't turn in any completed work samples until June 2009. I'm fairly certain that by that point, our DS will have completed Alg I, Geometry, and most of Alg II, along with 2-3 years of high school English, History and Spanish. So for math, his portfolio samples will probably be pages of trig problems. I just know that we're going to be called in for a meeting. That is one of many reasons why we got private IQ/achievement testing done last fall; since his achievement test showed mostly GEs in the 11th/12th grades, I can always pull them out if I'm questioned. Hopefully we won't get the third degree.

It's so nice to be able to chat here and not feel like a crazy person. I don't know anyone in real life who is dealing with anything like my situation.

Tara

Tara,

I have to say, I'm impressed by the accomplishments of your son, but I'm more impressed by your ability to homeschool a child who is going through the schoolwork so quickly. Congratulations on doing a great job.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    OHG, as much as I would love to accept your kind compliment... blush ...I know that his progress doesn't have much of anything to do with me. My main role is to let him go, but provide him with an environment that is rich in learning opportunities. I pay attention to his interests and try to make sure he has ways to feed that bliss, know what I mean? Otherwise, it's all him.

Tara

Tara - It's wonderful that you have been able to do 'the little' that you do! So much better than the - "You're going to school 'cause mom has to work, and you are going to do your level best to fit in that square hole and be a good classroom citizen!"

Which was how I approached the early elementary years.
    ((shrugs))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students