Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    My son (now 4) rather likes dinosaurs, and he had a "dinosaur month" a while back (i.e., all dino/all the time), but he's loved his wooden trains since he was about 1. Now it's more about track building than the trains themselves, but trains reign.

As for reactions, we've been getting smiles and comments from people since DS was 2 1/2, especially when we'd go to our huge hosp/clinic and DS would read all the signs and elevator numbers. The other day at Great Clips, I got kind of a funny look from a mom (whose kid looked to be about 8) when DS4 read the sign and said "hey mom, you can just get a shampoo here for $5 if you want." That was the first not-really-positive look I've received. Up till now it's been happy reactions. I guess those days are over. frown

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by kcab
    I felt, I don't know, a little surprised by the way they restrained him, it seemed excessive to me and out of proportion to the way he was behaving. In the end, I think they all felt a little foolish because he didn't even twitch. The MD tried to joke around with DS afterwards, but he got the turned head, refusal to make eye contact treatment.

He was probably a victim of the 1:1000 thing that gets very bright kids in school. They've never seen a kid who'll stay still, so....

I used to work on an ambulance and had to spend time in ERs. If it makes you feel any better about it, you would not believe how much a toddler can thrash around during suturing. They scream, they kick, etc etc.

Docs have to use "papoose boards" to keep everyone safe. The lidocaine injection is a sharp poke and the medicine causes a burning sensation as it's being injected that continues until it takes effect. Next, a total stranger comes along with a needle and thread. If the doctor is suturing near an eye and the child jerks away, he could lose an eye. If he jerks away while the doc is pulling the suture through the wound, he could make his wound even worse. And let's not forget that the doc could get stabbed. Etc. etc.

I understand your point and believe that your son would have been just fine without the papoose board; one of mine (ONE) would probably be the same. But at the same time, I can see their point. The stakes are pretty high, and given how the vast majority of kids react to suturing, they're probably right to err on the side of caution.

The doctor probably just should have been honest with your son and told him "I'm sorry I did that. See, most kids jerk around and so.... If this ever happens again and I'm around, things might be different..."

Val

Last edited by Val; 03/07/08 11:19 PM.
    Mia Offline
    My ds got 8 stitches around his eye last May just after he turned 5, and believe me, he needed to be wrapped and restrained -- he was thrashing all over the place! I felt awful for the kid, but he *did* need to be strapped down -- and I can't blame him!

Then again, he was freaking out the whole time, so it was pretty clear that he needed to be wrapped. Anytime anyone approached him to even look at the eye, he'd literally start to shake and clamber closer to me and start howling anew. frown

Mia
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    The other day at Great Clips, I got kind of a funny look from a mom (whose kid looked to be about 8) when DS4 read the sign and said "hey mom, you can just get a shampoo here for $5 if you want." That was the first not-really-positive look I've received. Up till now it's been happy reactions. I guess those days are over. frown

I've always been tempted to lean over and stage whisper: "Hormone Problem - He's 17."

Just to see the looks on that theoretical person's face. My DS11 probably would have thrown a tantum, though.

Not very nice, I know, but I get some solace from the thought in the privacy of my mind.

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Haircuts?
    DS needed a papoose board for haircuts until age 5, and they didn't provide those. He said that it hurt when they cut the hair. I figured that he didn't like the pulling feeling on his scalp. He may have also been frightened by the pointing things.

By age 5 we found a place with a nice lady and a VCR. A year later he discovered buzz cuts and was fine from then on.

Aggg. Had forgotten that!
    No wonder almost nothing embarasses me anymore.
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    DD8 would still need to have to papoose board!!!! She won't let anyone near her!
    DD5 is the unusually calm one. She had a gash on her forehead and she was so calm and quiet, SO unusual for her, I was very fearful she had some sort of concussion and was asking for a scan.
    Then, when the Dr. injected the lidocaine, she sat motionless but screamed at the top of her lungs for like 3 or 4 minutes straight. Seriously, motionless. Even the Dr. looked at me like what is up with that strange little girl!!!!!!
    Then she looked at us and said. Sorry, I went a little Crazy Daisy there for a minute and stayed quiet and motionless for the rest of the time. I still think it's somewhat strange!
    Also, I've noticed as they get older their "differences" aren't as glaring and you get less perplexed stares, if that helps.

I

Ann Offline
    ((Big hugs)) to all your kiddos. I've really enjoyed these stories. I'm amazed by our collective children.

Doctors and dentists are always amazed by my DS who loves anatomy and medical terms and doesn't flinch at a blood draw. The pediatrician has given my son some strange looks after hearing what DS has to say....he-he!

Maybe I should clue him in.

Originally Posted by Grinity
    I've always been tempted to lean over and stage whisper: "Hormone Problem - He's 17."
    Grinity

I love this! I'm going to have to start working on my arsenal of fun comments. Maybe i'll get to use something like this sometime (if i'm out of my smallish town, anyway!)

I should have mentioned that the reason we were at Great clips instead of home. I usually cut DS's hair, because he hates haircuts, and I guess when I do it, at least he gets to watch TV. Well, he was complaining so much about getting his hair cut at all, I threatened "if you don't let me do it, we have to go to the barber." So he agreed to let me cut. I cut a giant chunk off, and he screamed, "I change my mind, let's go to the hair cutting place!" ugh. I give up. He can look like a girl if he wants from now on.

When I was 4 my mom and I were at a big hotel.

We got on the elevator on a high floor with about a dozen men.

The elevator DROPPED.

When we stopped, I remarked:

"OOOH. Mommy, that elevator jiggled my penis!"

When the elevator doors closed, we could hear the men laughing.

Last edited by Austin; 08/06/08 11:51 AM.
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM