Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Val), 215 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    Thanks for the encouragement Shari! If I may ask, is DS8 in a special gifted school that provides those type of opportunities or where you able to work that out within your public school system?

I set up a tour at the private gifted school next week, so we will see what it is like; my understanding is they do provide quite a bit of flexibility. smile Then we will have to see if and how we can afford it. frown

Last edited by whattodo?; 07/07/11 11:58 AM.
    L
    L
    my son would do the same. He's not HG but very talented and all MATH. Once I started partially homeschooling him I saw that following instructions was an issue.

As a result of NEVER having to follow them b/c he'd put it all together, he got frustrated when harder material came that he actually had to sit through the instruction.

For me, as a parent, I sometimes forget the other piece of the puzzle to being gifted: he's still just 8! Meaning that just b/c they're gifted or exceptionally gifted, they still need to learn basics - which for these kids seems difficult b/c they have to slow down. Once learned that this is part of their process - full steam ahead!

Learning the life skills to cope is important but I do think the schools seem to rely on that heavily to not have to make alternative adjustments.... JMO.

Good luck - I've had NONE with the schools - but you have hard core data that should speak loud & clear for you.

My son is also highly social and an amazing leader (much of that feeds into his confidence & high self-esteem) so taking him out for full time HS isn't in his best interest.

During our partial HS, I can help him with coping where he needs it (like not teaching the teacher) and other social issues related to boys, being gifted and the like.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM