Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    I love that there are books aimed at the 'top 10%' - I strongly believe that the author needs to state- on the cover -who they are talking to. And that will probably include some numbers to be clear:
    Some possibilities:
    'Kids who score in the top 5% on State grade-level exams'
    'Kids who are rare in the population - top half a percent if IQ tests reflect them clearly'
    'Kids with a few areas of learning strength who are ordinary in other learning areas.'
    'Kids with GAI over 135 and WM/PSI under 115'
    I'm coming late to this conversation b/c we've been out of town for the past week, but I wanted to go back to this b/c it resonates with me. I find myself struggling at times with feeling elitist in wanting to restrict what is defined as gifted b/c defining it so broadly muddies the water so much that there is no way to adequately say "here's was a gifted child needs" when gifted means so many different things. I find that our local definition falls more into the "kids with a few areas of learning strength" area b/c most kids who are ided as gifted are ones who hit the 95th percentile in any one area in achievement (like an SRI lexile score in the 95th and all other achievement scores not that high).

However, I do like the idea that there can be many boxes that can be called gifted as long as one is clear as to which box we are using for the individual child. Has anyone read Jim Deslisle's article arguing for a more restrictive definition of gifted (http://www.giftedteam.org/pdf/links/Understand_What_Giftedness_Is_and_What_It_Is_Not-Delisle.pdf)?

Originally Posted by Cricket2
    I find myself struggling at times with feeling elitist in wanting to restrict what is defined as gifted b/c defining it so broadly muddies the water so much that there is no way to adequately say "here's was a gifted child needs" when gifted means so many different things.

I think that as we talk more to friends and neighbors we'll be able to have a more nuanced conversation about what gifted kids might be and what they might need.

As for the elitist part - if the gifted program is a pull out 45 minutes a week for kids to go on special field trips and make videos and do 'fun stuff' because 'they are our hope for the future' - well, count me out.

I think we have to be clear that some kids have special educational needs that aren't routinely and reliably met in the regular classrom. If all children could benifit from the content of a gifted class, the give it to all kids. The learning environment in the gifted class should be 'not developmentally appropriate' for the normally developing kid.

I love the idea of a palate of options for all the kids in all my above catagories. I think if we focus on our children's learning needs, then the elitism charge melts away.

Love and More Love (and welcome back Cricket2)
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM