Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #106407 07/06/11 06:04 AM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    DD10 is dyslexic. Since an early age she has not liked any music that has words in it, even nursery rhymes and has refused to sing. She likes to listen to and play classical and relaxation type music (Enya, celtic, yoga, etc)

Her refusing to sing has caused some minor issues at school since they have chorus and she has refused to participate. It also has caused her some social hiccups as all her peers both typical and gifted are belting out the latest Lady GaGa song. sick

She does play numerous instruments (violin, piano, flute, and just recently harp) so I am not worried about her musical ability wink

I myself listen to everything from classical to adult contemporary and dad is addicted to classic rock so it is not like she is lacking exposure.

She has complained several times in the past that she "hates songs with words!

I was just curious if her dislike of singing and of listening to songs with words could be related some kind of "language thing" associated to her dyslexia.

Any ideas? Anyone else have a kid that hates songs with words?

My 14 year old, profoundly dyslexic son says he does not understand music, hates to sing, and hated elementary school music class, especially when finger plays and hand movements are involved. He can't remember the words, replicate the tune, or even differentiate between to similar songs. Unlike your dd, mine does not have a musical bone in his body, no sense of rhythm etc.

I agree with Cricket there may be some issues around CAPD - I've heard the same.

John Gabrielli (sp?) has done some research around the link between music and dyslexia.

M
    M
    How interesting. DD has CAPD and we are waiting for the dyslexia diagnosis. She plays piano and she loves to sing, and has excellent pitch and timing. In fact when we moved states her first piano teacher's advice to us was about her singing not piano! BUT, My DH, whom I am sure also has CAPD and possinly dyslexia, and also has perfect pitch, although he has a great love of music and broad taste is biased toward music without vocals or music where the vocals are not dominant or are indistinct. There are some exceptions but for the most part his music is not about the lyrics. I prefer listening to music that is cleaner and simpler and with clearly audible lyrics. There is certain music that he and DD both love that is like torture to me and can literally result in my rocking in a corner as I tend to shut down before realizing why I am feeling so terrible.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations