Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 295 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    BTW, I'm originally from Ridgefield! Living out west now in WY.

Originally Posted by laura0896
    I have been told that there are a number of GT kids his age testing similarly and that they will be together.

I receive his MAP's today where they only print the national norms, not the district norms.

Come grade 5/6 he can move into a higher math class as needed. What I see is that the amount of acceleration he might miss out on until then does not outweigh the language component. I can HS and have tutors to meet his needs to bridge the gap in math... but I can't make him bilingual - for sure!!!

I am afraid to request an IQ test... it seems that outside of the guy I met with today, I am the only one that sees how smart he is and/or capable, competent... MaMa syndrome.

OK - either post those MAP numbers or go look up against the national norms - how high up would a child be expected to need to go to find himself smiling at the 90% for reading and math and tell us that - you won't know if it's MaMa syndrome until you see what the numbers say - WISC numbers and MAP numbers.

It's easy for a teacher to say 'Look, here's 2 kids at the 90%, 2 more at the 95th% and one more at the 99th% - so we have a bunch of children who are alike.' But that is only true if your child is very close to the 98th%, rather than 99.999999 - see what I mean?

I expect that the teachers are acting in good faith - because 99.9999 is very rare, and as humans, we tend to be quite willing to act as if the 'quite rare' just plain doesn't exist. But it does exit. So find out if it exists at your house!

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    MAP in Fall of 2nd: RIT 202 = 98% math
    MAP in Winter of 2nd: RIT 216 = 99% math

I will receive his MAP Spring scores today.

The school was impressed with his "growth". Which, you would think, where did the growth come from if they weren't providing an instruction or at the very least, unchallenging instruction???

hmmm.

Where in CT? I grew up in Ridgefield, currently in WY.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM