Have you looked into whether you have any tutorial services in your area? There are LOTS popping up all over the U.S. Basically, they offer classes for 1-3 days a week. The classes are a la carte that range from science labs, math, Chinese, Spanish, Latin, Greek, Logic, Writing, Music, Drama, Art, Sculpture, etc. Many of the classes are taught by college instructors, high school teachers (who come in pre-opening time or post closing time at their regular schools), Lawyers (i.e. Logic), and professionals.

We have done this with one child, and it has been a great experience. My experience has been that many of the kids in our tutorial are gifted. It also gives the parents time away to work, relax, whatever. It gives kids social time. It provides academic options that might be out of the parents range (e.g. science labs).

We've been doing this for a few years, and it is really amazing how much learning has happened. We'll probably return to traditional school for high school. But this has been a very happy option. It really covers it all; social skills, academic skills, organizational skills (from taking multiple classes with multiple teachers all on the same day), study skills (homework to do on home days by the student), and free time for parents to continue work or have time to relax.

I keep wondering when this is going to be a well known option because this hybrid has been amazing. The students I see have really benefited from this method of instruction. Anyway, I hear of new ones popping up all the time so it might be worth looking into in your area if you take a year off because you could have her work on Logic, Greek, or Latin; something that challenges her without moving her so far ahead of the kids at school.

Edited to Add: Sorry I really didn't address your question. I was just thinking this might be a happy in between option.

Last edited by Sailing; 06/13/11 07:37 AM.