Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #104359 06/07/11 02:12 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Maybe I missed this, but is anyone using the Khan Academy as an online learning tool?

Ren

Wren #104360 06/07/11 04:23 AM
    G
    G
    My kids use it. For my older kid, who is finishing 5th grade math, she's mostly using it as a video game, and she's not working beyond her current instructional level. She did learn a lot from many of the videos last summer when we were patching a few holes her subject acceleration were going to produce. She wasn't able to internalize the methods from the Explain tabs in ALEKS, but the videos working the examples did a lot.

For my younger who will start kindergarten next year, we're finding it's great. Lots of problems, lots of encouragement, and decent video explanation of concepts he's already familiar with. He's unable to apply the video explanation from unfamiliar concepts (most recently it was long division). It's a decent compliment, then, to working directly with me, as we'll talk about it, he'll go back to the video, and then be able to do the problems.

Looking forward to the higher topics, however, most of the problem types are presented as multiple choice. At this point I would find it unacceptable as a learning tool because I have a family of extraordinarily good guessers.

Both kids have loved watching a lot of the other videos, and they're slowly working their way through all the cosmology and astrophysics videos.

Wren #104361 06/07/11 04:26 AM
    Yes. Are you using it? It's been on my radar for some time now.

I saw recently that Khan Academy received a good chunk of money from Google. It's only going to get better from here on.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Wren #104365 06/07/11 05:01 AM
    We use a variety of online resources, with Khan Academy being a favorite. Originally, before they re-launched the Practice section, we used only the videos. They've done a great job with the problem sets so now it's a mix. As geofizz mentioned the answers are mostly multiple choice so that's a slight negative. However once you get into the upper math topics it's really less of an issue.

When your child gets to pre-algebra, Alcumus from AoPS is a nice supplement. Slightly different approach and the problems are much deeper.

JB

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM