Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Hi.

My son started on Game Maker when he was 8. Check out the book The Game Maker's Apprentice. It comes with a CD for a free version of Game Maker Light. The description on Amazon reads in part: "Game Maker allows games to be created using a simple drag-and-drop interface, so you don�t need to have any prior coding experience. It includes an optional programming language for adding advanced features to your games, when you feel ready to do so." My kid has learned a lot of coding over the past two years. He also used Beginning Programming for Dummies, which uses Liberty Basic.

Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door.
    H
    hip Offline
    H
    Yes, the Gonick books are big hits at our house. I haven't done more than skim them, but the kids have been reading them for years.

I believe Gonick also draws the cartoon figures that appear in the margins of Muse magazine, and has written a book based on them: Attack of the Smart Pies.

Mini-brag. I just downloaded scratch. I watched the first how to video, how to make the fish change colors. I found the two commands, dragged them to the script box. It didn't work. I pushed the green flag and looked around for more buttons to push, ds3.5 pushed my hand out the way, too k the mouse and said, "they said to connect them togeather." and he did, and it worked. I always get surprised, then I say "they make this stuff to teach kids. I shouldn't be surprised."

Anyway, thanks. Looks like great quality and the price is right:)

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    C
    C
    I just googled up this page: Introductory Informatics - looks as though most of it is aimed at people older than your DS but maybe some of it is relevant?

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    M
    M
    I'll agree with the recommendations for both Scratch and the Gonick books. DD and DS both love em.

N
    Nan Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Thank you for all the recommendations! I have downloaded Scratch for DS's computer; I have a couple of books on order; and I will start looking through those links.

M
    M
    I recently installed Scratch for DD8 and DD10. They had a ball and were able to easily figure it out on their own. The only thing they need me for was an audience. smile It certainly made a cold, rainy afternoon much more fun.

P
    Pru Offline
    P
    I second the Scratch recommendation. I installed this for DD7 earlier this year and she figured out much of it on her own, I assume from picking apart the tutorials. It's very intuitive.

She's at the point where I need to step in and show her how to use collision logic and variables so her games can be fully working. I think that will inspire another round of creation with it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM