Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    O
    Orson Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Our best moment was when our public school realized DS will *behave better* (less disruptive, more sociable) if he gets all the gifted services he needs, including advanced content. That was a real game-changer. Has your advocate worked on the gifted stuff, or just the IEP itself?

Best wishes,
    DeeDee

This is exactly what we know and what we're currently fighting for. We don't have an educational advocate. Hired one last year, but waaaay too rich for our blood. It's like having a lawyer on standby! Actually quite tired of the whole industry suddenly cropping up to take money from parents of ASD kids. It's an abomination, in my opinion. We pay twice as much for everything because we have a child with ASD. Some states/cities offer free advocates to work with parents and the schools. Not here. And if there was such a thing here, they'd surely be on the county's dime and therefore useless to us. If you're fighting your school for services, you need an impartial individual.

O
    Orson Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    Originally Posted by CFK
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Regarding schools: private schools are allowed to discriminate. And they are right in thinking that they are probably not equipped for the challenge of educating your child-- their teachers are usually less qualified and less experienced, they do not usually have special ed teachers on staff, nor do they normally provide the ancillary services a kid on the spectrum typically needs.

Not that it's nice for you to have no options, but you can see that many private schools are not going to be a better fit than even a modest public school-- the parents who are paying a lot to educate their kids don't want kids like yours (and mine) in there, and those parents would complain and get your kid kicked out, so it's better to just not start with that. There are private schools that help kids with AS flower, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

I agree with you about gifted programs; they tend to be very exclusive and want children with a perfect behavior record. We have found this too.

I don't have a child with ASD so I can't offer any advice as far as that goes. I do have to disagree with the above though. My child was in a private school that also housed an LD academy that offered great differentiation and accomodations. The teachers in the LD academy were specially trained in alternative teaching methods. All of the children were on individualized plans so noone was held back due to non-academic concerns.

My son was also in a fulltime gifted program in a public school. There were several children in the class on the autism spectrum. IQ scores of at least 130 guaranteed admission. Their social difficulties did not exclude them.

None of these options may be available in the OP's area, but they do exist.

That's the point. Your LD school was a specialty school, set up to serve kids with special needs. Those schools don't discriminate against LD kids, because that's who they are set up to teach. We're talking about your run of the mill private or "prep" school, like, say (just to pick a famous one), Phillips Exeter Academy.

Public schools, of course, cannot discriminate, which is why, as you point out, the G/T programs in public schools accept a kid who tests into the program. Note, however, that without appropriate supports (like a paraprofessional), an ASD child may not be able to participate in the G/T class, and many drop out of it, even though he has the test scores and academic ability to be a part of the class. There is actually a whole book about this called Gifted Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. The book essentially says, "Many gifted kids with ASD will not be able to participate in gifted programs." So even though the public school can't outright discriminate, they can (and do) leave a lot of ASD kids without the supports needed to be successful in certain "extras" like G/T. Most G/T teachers have absolutely no training in special ed or autism. So they get these kids in their classes and don't know what to do with them. It's a shame, really. These really, really bright kids are falling by the wayside because many teachers are not willing to get to know them and understand what makes them tick. A good teacher teaches all kids, not just the easy ones. You'd think G/T teachers would be used to kids who are different! In our experience, no. They are used to teaching kids who are very near "perfect," in grades, behavior, and even physical appearance.

My DS is in the G/T program in his school. It's just not a very good program, and it's just a pull-out a couple times a week that focusses on the same things they focus on in the general ed class, i.e., it's "enrichment" rather than different or accelerated subjects. Better than nothing, but pretty boring.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by CFK
    My child was in a private school that also housed an LD academy that offered great differentiation and accomodations. The teachers in the LD academy were specially trained in alternative teaching methods. All of the children were on individualized plans so noone was held back due to non-academic concerns.

As I said in my earlier post, there exist private schools that make it work beautifully. (They are very uncommon.)

I will note, though, that the private schools that cater to LD students in our area do not routinely accept students with autism; they remediate dyslexia, ADHD, and LDs only. Gifted ASD students do fall through the cracks, especially if their behaviors are problematic enough to make inclusion difficult.

Originally Posted by Orson
    There is actually a whole book about this called Gifted Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. The book essentially says, "Many gifted kids with ASD will not be able to participate in gifted programs." So even though the public school can't outright discriminate, they can (and do) leave a lot of ASD kids without the supports needed to be successful in certain "extras" like G/T. Most G/T teachers have absolutely no training in special ed or autism. So they get these kids in their classes and don't know what to do with them.

Our DS was the first diagnosed autistic kid in our school's GT program within the long memory of the staff, but the G/T teacher has been wonderful; she is used to "quirky" and has been a huge asset to DS. This is a case where supportive school staff and a well written IEP can make all the difference.

DeeDee

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs