Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #10184 03/02/08 01:07 PM
    acs Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Since we all had so much fun discussing personalies, I thought we'd enjoy this article from Deborah Ruf's web site. It is clearly a summary of ideas, so it glosses over some things, but still it seemed helpful.

My favorite line was when she says "One way I suggest for parents to know if their gifted child is an FP is to ask them if these words have ever come out of their mouths: �In the amount of time you�ve argued with me, you could have finished this.� " DS is such an FP!!!

Here is the link http://www.educationaloptions.com/writings.htm Click on "Tips for parents: How Level of Giftedness..."

I look forwars to your thoughts!

Those such words have come out of my mouth at least a thousand times! LOL!!!! My DS is definitely an FP. In fact I think both are, though I haven't had my DS7 take the test yet. I've always said he will be a lawyer because he can argue with anyone about anything at any time. Oh dear, 2 of them! smile

I going to read the whole article - thanks acs for posting it!

A
    A
    Now that article really let me LOL!!!!

Maybe Grin was talking about expending energy vs. generating energy from being with people? I think deep down I am an introvert, as I do need to recharge after being with a crowd. My husband just sees how much I enjoy interacting and calls me an extrovert, but I don't think I truly qualify as one.

I'll have to see the Ruf article. I participated in an online seminar where she had the Myers-Briggs stuff flying, and I had no idea what I was at that point.

Last edited by Lorel; 03/02/08 03:38 PM. Reason: typo
    Originally Posted by Lorel
    Maybe Grin was talking about expending energy vs. generating energy from being with people? I think deep down I am an introvert, as I do need to recharge after being with a crowd. My husband just sees how much I enjoy interacting and calls me an extrovert, but I don't think I truly qualify as one.

I'll have to see the Ruf article. I participated in an online seminar where she had the Myers-Briggs stuff flying, and I had no idea what I was at that point.

Yup. I think about it as where you need to recharge your batteries. Introversion/extroversion has nothing to do with being shy/outgoing. I'm as outgoing as person as you'd ever hope to meet, but I MUST have time away from people to recharge. Being social wears me out. Even a long phone call requires a little while alone so I can regroup.

There are shy extroverts and outgoing introverts. One characteristic really has nothing to do with the other.

Kriston
    So how do you all know what your kids are? Have you used the MMTIC as recommended? Or are you just guessing?

I'm eyeing it for my DS6. I wish I could give it to my DS3 more, though. He 's the one I have trouble figuring out.

I guess we wait until 2nd grade...

Kriston
    BTW, This was totally me in school:

Originally Posted by Ruf
    Judging students tend to finish their work no matter how �stupid� they may think it is...If they are a Thinker (TJ) they do their work because it is expedient of them to do so, there are some rewards, and not hassling over it earns them privileges and more time to do what they really want to do.

I read that and thought, "Pow! She nailed me on the head!"

Kriston
    Kriston - I just did the link posted on here by someone to determine what my DS10 is. It is aimed at adults though so I'm not sure it would apply too much to a 3 year old. But you could look at see what you think.

Kriston- that quote nailed me too! It's crazy how on the mark these things can be. smile

acs Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yep! That one was like she was in my head. Remember my universal hall pass back in 12th grade? I love special priviliges and that one made all those years of sucking up worth while!

I forgot you had that acs!!! LOL!!! That definitely made it all worth while I am sure. I never had such a hall pass (sadly) but teachers did love me and I got to do whatever I wanted to basically too. The article is interesting about the differences between the way girls and boys react. I can see why girls can get overlooked when they are being more cooperative and boys are acting out more. Although my DS does not act out. He just spaces out and lives in his head alot of the time. So maybe it is personality more than gender in some cases??

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM