Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 341 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by master of none
    Yeah, I wish they didn't have the dealbreakers. My dd skipped into her brother's class. He is 2 years older than she is, and it was a miracle in terms of their relationship. Gone was sibling rivalry, and instead, camaraderie appeared. They discuss the other kids, the teachers, the school work, as if they are best friends now. Maybe that's ultimately bad and should be a dealbreaker. I don't know.

That's an interesting story, and amazing how it all worked out. I have a sense that you were very careful in how you spoke with your ds about the skip. I'd be curious how that conversation went. It looks like my dcs will be at the same level in math for the next several years and they are 3 years apart. Trying to find some ways to talk about this. So far it's not been a great thing.

Last edited by herenow; 05/07/11 08:15 PM.
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    IRRC, the IQ section had several cuts, with minimum points for +1SD, more points for +2SD, and highest points possible for +3SD.
    That's what I recall on the form as well, but the book that was supposed to be used in conjunction with the form gave more info about filling it out and said, as least at the time, that the +1SD should only be considered if the child was much older for grade having just missed the K cut off or was in that same spot and looking to start K early.

I called Belin-blank regarding using the IAS with a PG child and multiple skips. They told me that it is not designed to give results for that situation. It is only designed for single grade skips and not radical acceleration of any kind.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Ohhh... interesting. Don't most educators call a "single skip" radical acceleration to start with??

(Really not understanding that.)

Or as a friend of mine says,humerously: We would never skip a PG child who doesn't want an offered skip after we've twisted their arm 360 degrees and offered them their very own pony!

ROFL!!! LOVE IT.

Yeah, I think that something that is easy to forget is that, sure, you need some level of cooperation from the child... er-- or at least "compliance" if nothing else--

but children being, you know-- children?

They aren't always going to want what is best for them, or be able to see past the emotional landscape of being their chronological age.

Would most parents ask a seventeen-year-old about college plans? Absolutely-- and probably defer to them in most cases.

Is that appropriate PARENTING at age nine? Probably not.

KWIM?

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    Thank you for all the feedback. It is great to find other who have faced a similar dilemma.

We have made several decisions about my sons education without giving him a choice.. In this case he feels the fifth grade kids will pick on him. He has seen that sort of bullying at school before. It could be he is overreacting since he is pretty sensitive (especially about being different).

The principal told me again today that she will not "create a special curriculum" for him is he stays in 4th grade. He can stay in 4th or move to 5th. She advised against letting him work ahead in math if he stays in 4th. Pretty discouraging. I (nicely) let her know that he will work ahead to his heart's content.

My preference is to have him accelerated by subject but stay in 4th. My next stop is to have another discussion with the district to make sure I understand all the options. It seems unbelievable that he is the only kid in this district in this situation. This is th Boulder Valley School District, by the way.

Thanks again, and I hope this thread is useful to others..

K
    OP Offline
    K
    Grinity, I love the family motto. I will be stealing it. Thanks, Kathleen

Originally Posted by Katbarber
    In this case he feels the fifth grade kids will pick on him. He has seen that sort of bullying at school before. It could be he is overreacting since he is pretty sensitive (especially about being different).

The principal told me again today that she will not "create a special curriculum" for him is he stays in 4th grade. He can stay in 4th or move to 5th.
    Well done, Kathleen!
    So was this past bullying done at this school or at other schools?
    If it was at this school, then I would bring up that concern with the Principle and see if she is more willing to allow the subject accelerations.

Personally, I think she is doing you a favor by 'playing hardball' and only offering the limited choice of 'be a normal 5th grader' or 'be an unhappy 4th grader and make the best of it.' Is he really safe from bullying if he's only attending 5th grade for half his subjects? I doubt it. IF the bullying is a problem - then solve it!!!

If I were the Principle, and I heard a parent saying: 'I agree he should be in 5th grade, but he's afraid of your students.' it would inspire me to pay attention and think outside the box.

Then I would brainstorm how to solve the bullying problem:
    1) Creating an anti-bullying program at the school so that every child of every agegroup starts getting the message that it's the audience that creates an atmousphere where bullying happens, and it's up to the audience-members to speak up and stop unfair treatment of classmates.
    2) Set up a team-taught combined 4th-5th grade classroom with some of DS's favorite friends so that the whole group will be together and his current friends can stand up the whatever 5th graders are causing a problem, and DS can have his full skip to 5th grade without lossing his social supports.
    3) Get social skills training of DS, at school, afterschool or through Martial Arts so that DS grows in his self confidence and skills to handle difficult social challenges.

And you may be right - DS might well be projecting his discomfort with being different onto others. If he doesn't accept himself for who he is, how is he to expect others to accept him. If this is true, the skip will be likely to help DS accept himself 'differences and all.'

Not to mention that DS might be very panicy about the idea of actually having to 'work' in order to 'feel smart' in school. If this is running then you have all the more reason to skip him.

In the end, I think you can get a lot of milage out of telling DS, 'this is where the Principle believes you need to be. It might mean that you need to grow in ways that you don't believe you can grow right now, but I believe that you can grow in those ways, and I have faith that you will.'

Because:
    All members of this family are expected to put themselves in situation where they face challenges and have to work to overcome those challenges."

Yup - that's the point of a Motto - it gets repeated over and over and becomes the punchline of every story!

An alternative path is to review the Motto, and then review the facts '4th grade doesn't provide a challenging situation for you' and ask DS to come up with some brainstorms for alternatives. At our house this sometimes means that I am impressed and give DS a few months to try, or that DS realizes that his ideas are a lot more work than he wants to do.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Katbarber
    The principal told me again today that she will not "create a special curriculum" for him if he stays in 4th grade. He can stay in 4th or move to 5th. She advised against letting him work ahead in math if he stays in 4th. Pretty discouraging.

That's a tough decision. Good luck!

My DD is against the idea of a full skip mainly because of her size (she's already frustrated with being the smallest kid in her class) and because she doesn't want to be at a different school than her best friend, who is close enough to her LOG to "get" her. So, we're continuing to pursue subject acceleration, even if much of it ends up taking place at home.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    I think that what helped us the most over the years, was to have a family 'motto' that was short and to the point to refer back to. Ours was something like: "All members of this family are expected to put themselves in situation where they face challenges and have to work to overcome those challenges."

Love it! I may be taping that to the inside of my younger DD's backpack.

M
    M
    Grinity I LOVE that motto and will steal it too if that's okay with you? Even at age 4 DS4 is anti challenges either side of his comfort zone. drives me nuts as I try and encourage him to try new things without watching from the sidelines first and practicing in secret / in his head.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM