Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #100611 04/27/11 01:40 PM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    As of today, Frannie has been moved into second grade math! I am hoping this is a permanent move.

any thoughts?

Thanks
    Sheila

Yippee!
    I would try and keep in touch with the 2nd grade math teacher, without being too much of a pain. I think once a week with a positive is ok:
    (possible example)
    "Frannie was singing today at dinner - said it's because Fractions are so exciting - Isn't that cute?!?
    We have a family tradition of sharing a story that makes us proud of each child on Sunday night dinner. If you have any Frannie stories we'd be very apprecitive.
    Have a good evening,
    Sheila"

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Grinity.. she is in a 1st/2nd multi age class. Her math teacher is actually her regular teacher! She switched classes for math. I have been in contact with her teacher via email since I knew she was in this class last June! I help out in her classroom once a week. I absolutely LOVE her. I am saddened that next year with the entire school going to multi age... she wont have this teacher again as she is moving to 5/6 frown

Opps! But that is good to hear that she gets to do 2nd grade math with her wonderful regular teacher.

So is it going to be documented so that next year DD can do 3rd grade math?

Grinity

F
    OP Offline
    F
    I dont know, I hope so ! I didnt even know this was happening. There are 6 kids that were moved from what Frannie told me. It is the enrichment group I (and a few other moms) have been working with. I am sure I will hear back from her teacher in the morning when she checks email.
    After getting the CogAT results I have been worried the enrichment would be non-existant next year

F
    OP Offline
    F
    Mrs X,

Hope you had a good day today smile Frannie came home from school and said she and a few others have moved into your math class?

Just curious
    thanks
    Sheila

Hi,

Sort of.
    Ms. B has a huge 1st grade math class with some behavior and learning issues. I have a much smaller 2nd grade group with less issues. We have spent a lot of time coming up with both enrichment and remediation for the 1st graders. This is our latest attempt. We decided to take the enrichment group and put them in my classroom so Ms. B can focus on the others who need more help.
    I'll be doing a variety of activities with these 1st graders to prepare them for 2nd grade as well as enrich. They will not be doing end of the year 2nd grade math with us. It just happened that we were working out of the math book this week, so I just had them work with us for Wednesday and Thursday.
    We'll send out a letter explaining it next week. :-)

Have a good one!
    Mrs. X

Not sure how to make this out other than they arent doing second grade math.. wonder if I can ask her to give her the work... and maybe give her the end of year test.

Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    Not sure how to make this out other than they arent doing second grade math.. wonder if I can ask her to give her the work... and maybe give her the end of year test.
    It sounds like they may be giving 'enrichment math' - specially designed to be more interesting to advanced students without opening the door to a subject acceleration. How such Math exists at the 1st grade level is a puzzle to me, but that's another story.

It may be 'better than what was' but will it be enough? Time will tell.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

F
    OP Offline
    F
    Grinity...
    I think this will be the response .
    Mrs. X,
    Can you give Frannie the second grade math work on top of any other work she may be getting? The reality is, she is finding the work very easy. I would rather have her challenged than bored. I will be more then happy to work with her at home if need be. As we found at the beginning of the year when she took the end of first grade test and thru MAP testing, she knows most of the material.

Thanks for your time
    Sheila

here's some suggestions - hopefully good ones!
    Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    Grinity...
    I think this will be the response .
    Mrs. X,
    Can you give Frannie the second grade math work on top of any other work she may be getting? Thanks for including Frannie in the enrichment group, however, I am making a written request that she be subject accelerated into the 2nd grade group. Even with the Enrichment, The reality is, she is finding the work very easy. I would rather have her challenged than bored.As a parent, I am concerned that my daughter be given the same opportunities to develop a good work ethic as the other children, and this won't happen in her current 1st grade placement, even with the special enrichment. I will be more then happy to work with her at home if need be. As we found at the beginning of the year when she took the end of first grade test and thru MAP testing, she knows most of the 1st grade material, and it is impossible to develop a healthy approach to learning if challenging material is not encountered on a frequent basis.

I understand that you may not feel comfortable to commit the school to a course of subject acceleration, so if we need to set up a meeting to clear this at a higher level, please do so.

Thanks for your time
    Sheila

Ok - never use the b-word (bored)
    It's not about what you want, it's about what's best for the child.
    Every child deserves a chance to develop good work ethic.

Anyone go a link to the article 'What a child doesn't learn?'

Good luck!
    Grinity

Grinity #100729 04/28/11 08:38 AM
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Anyone go a link to the article 'What a child doesn't learn?'

http://www.wku.edu/academy/?p=430

She thought she could, so she did.
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard